Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend getaways

Dude I live in Colorado! Just head west and up.

Honestly though when my kids were younger we used to just go to a hotel within an hour, watch cable TV (we didn't have TV) and swim in the pool a lot. There was on with an awesome pool in Boulder that we loved. Maybe too kid-ish however

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Honestly though when my kids were younger we used to just go to a hotel within an hour, watch cable TV (we didn't have TV) and swim in the pool a lot.
    DW did this years ago with friends of hers who had kids of similar ages.

DW and I (sans kids) have gone on long weekends someplace not far away in a room with a hot tub and a restaurant under the same roof. Only done that once since we got the dog though...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Our get aways are sometimes to the local RV resort. They are tops as far as amenities, and sometimes I can get the whole clan together in one place!

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    Our get aways are sometimes to the local RV resort. They are tops as far as amenities, and sometimes I can get the whole clan together in one place!
    This is a fun idea!

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    The RV resort across the street from my Buddhist teacher has some cabins, but recently added tiny houses! They have 2 that are for rent. I really want to try them out.

Haven't done a weekend trip in a long time, but when we did do them, it was usually camping. Hmm.... will have to look at the calendar. You all have me wanting to get away!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Trigger Warning: Yppej, this could send you into one of your tizzies.

While I am not taking anything like a full-on vacation, I am going to go on a little weekend getaway with my ladyfriend in mid-July.

We're going to Buffalo, NY to visit her family and friends (I guess it is serious, this relationship).

we reserved an Air BnB in a nice neighborhood.
    Traveling to an adjacent state is a lot different than jetting around the world.

But for her family and friends to truly size up your character you should be sleeping alone on an air mattress in a non air conditioned room in one of their houses, or on the couch.

Yeah, air beds do vary widely. I prefer them to couches, though!
    I think when we go to visit family I will start traveling with my own air bed. Last time at my parents' I resurrected an old army cot and added down sleeping bags underneath and it was actually really nice.
    But it's easier to be creative when the family is not there in the house!

Last weekend trip was a birding expedition this spring. It was lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Traveling to an adjacent state is a lot different than jetting around the world.

But for her family and friends to truly size up your character you should be sleeping alone on an air mattress in a non air conditioned room in one of their houses, or on the couch.
    So is it the overall distance that sets you off or the mode of travel?

What would you say the safe distance for me to travel with my student loan debt is? To go from Columbus, OH to Buffalo, NY is roughly 350 miles. What if I wanted to go Rochester, which is about 450 miles?

What if I flew to Buffalo instead of driving? Would that set you off?

Here is another toughie: Suppose I drive to Buffalo but in a rented Jaguar and when I got there I ate filet mignon for every meal, went on a clothes shopping spree, got manicures and pedicures, etc. and ended up spending more money than I would have on a weeklong trip to Costa Rica where I could stay in a little Air BnB by the beach and eat beans and rice and bananas?

I am trying to figure out what you will allow and what you won't allow.

Thread Information