Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopping in to say hello

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stopping in to say hello

Hi Everyone! I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I've been a member of the Simple Living network for... maybe 17 years? Anyway. Life's been busy. We moved to a big old historic fixer-upper in Wisconsin. It used to be the county poor farm when it was built in the 1800s. We have 7 kiddos now, and they are going to the coolest school district I've ever seen. I've gone back to work part time and I'm considering going back to school. Anyway, it's nice to see you again.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Hello!!

Hey Stella, welcome back! Sounds like you've made some big changes and life is going good with you! Don't be a stranger here!

Hey Stella! I was wondering about you recently! Glad to hear from you. I took up scuba diving 2 years ago and it’s become my passion. It’s really stretched me and I’ve overcome a ton of fears

OMG! Of course I remember you! You have a great family and a dad who was a Franciscan oblate (I think?) and moved in with you. I thought of you from time to time. So glad you're back! Great to hear the update!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

STELLA!!!! I only pop in from time to time,but have often wondered what you were up to so very glad to see this update.

I'm back in the US now -- our DS got admitted to the early entrance program at our state university, and is now a rising junior majoring in Comp Sci/Math at 17. DD will be going into eighth grade and is a talented artist. We quit our jobs (2015-16), sold our apartment in Beijing (2016-17), bought a house in Seattle (2017), helped my mom through the last stages of congestive heart failure (2015-17), and are still trying to help with care of inlaws in China when we can (DH is there now, kids and I will visit later in the summer). Not working for now -- the stash is large thanks to the Beijing property market and we are enjoying spending time with the kids, biking and gardening.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

How nice to hear from you Stella and Lhamo! I miss your voices on the forums.
    Stella, I know your sister was having some significant health issues. How is she doing?
    I retired from my corporate job late last year, so I now get to spend my time in ways that are more meaningful to me. I've been doing lots of reading and nature walks, recently took a carpentry class, have been walking a dog for a family member, and I am helping my mother a lot as she is having memory issues.

Hi, Stella! I remember you as part of the (once-sizable) Twin Cities contingent. It's good to hear from you!

I closed my photography business last year (semi-long story). Now a grandpa twice over and feeling my way (never having been a dad to small kids before; there's a lot to catch up on). DW still is working but retirement is within sight -- unless it's not. Both of us are addressing "addressable" health challenges that call for a bit of accommodation but which will leave us healthier, so that's not a bad thing.

I hope to see you post more often here!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Hey Stella - I was thinking of you only this morning - so good to hear from you!! Sounds like you've been really busy - and a fixer-upper can take huge amounts of time, love, money, and really tax one's creativity sometimes, lol. We've been in ours for 30 years and there's still a lot to "fix", lol. So hang out here more often and post some pix, maybe? I need inspiration, lol.
    (-- the former ganderswamp.... now turned early morning)

So good to hear from the SLN old-timers and how their lives are unfolding.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information