Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new job possibility second thoughts

Doesn't sound like a good move to me. Maybe it's just my experience in the work force, but to me unstable jobs almost demand more pay to compensate for the risk that you may have to live for a while on the extra you're being paid. Not the case here -- especially if the pay is so low that you can't move there without dipping into retirement funds. What are the chances that, if the grant funding this job goes away, there will be another job for you with this organization or elsewhere nearby?

It sounds like there will be plenty of stress all around at first, only some of which goes away. So work is enjoyable? There's still another 120+ hours a week when you're not at work. Even your description of the workarounds doesn't show tons of enthusiasm:
    Could buy a foreclosure about an hour away but it would be an hour away and then there is commute
    Now you're spending two hours a day on the road (or bus or whatever) and coming back to a house that may require major work (and/or money spent) on your off hours.

Unless your skill set and interests are so narrow there are only a few jobs in the country which will take advantage of them or unless you've been looking for a new job for a long time fruitlessly (I'm sorry; I haven't kept up if that's the case), I'd either try to negotiate a higher salary or a different position/higher grade or I would pass this one by.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

What is driving your idea to move?
    I mean, I realize there is a generalized desire to move near grandchildren, but that hasnt panned out, so why move?

Every time you move it is expensive. I know from personal experience. If your husband doesn’t have the heart issue he may need a low dose medication for the attacks. I take the lowest dose of Effexor daily and it works great. I developed anxiety and panic attacks when I developed a heart problem and was told it was caused by the heart condition.

My hubby experiences panic attacks and they are truly scary for both of us. Would do anything to keep them from happening. His started during a plane flight when they burned something in the galley and he had an asthma attack.

My take on your pros and cons (and it is worth only a penny) is that the pros are emotionally based and the cons are all either very practical or financially based. I am a very practical person and the emotional pros dont overcome the cons.

I lived in NC for a couple of years when hubby was transferred and suffered from daily hives due to something in the environment. Suffered for the hubby's job. I felt bad, he felt bad and we were so happy to return to IN where the hives disappeared. It really messed with any of the enjoyment I could have experienced.

Nswef, thank you for the clarity there--taking money out of savings really shakes me up, as it is not in our plan for this--maybe a forever house closer to the kids in a climate my husband can deal with better. Steve, good point about thinking through the workarounds--it sounds like an awful lot of work and I am in essence paying for the privilege by relocating and taking that hit. Terry, moving is horribly expensive and we are running out of years where I want to keep starting over. Sweetana, thank you for the pros/cons read--you are right, the pros are very emotional, and I think are coming out of what Catherine called the fight or flight response from dealing with my family over the past 6 months and feeling very pushed around and disrespected by my brothers/father.

Have you told the family yet that no moves are possible unless they do not cost you anything? Your security is more important than many of the emotional pulls. It's like filling the well before you can give water.....You are the well and must be FULL!

If a new location or job will increase the peace of mind, go for it. If not, decline. Sorry but life is too short to sway back and forth.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Gosh, I hear your need for a change in your life, but it doesn't sound like this job prospect would be a good one, since the cons so far outweigh the pros.

Thread Information