Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Manufacturers Howling about new US Tariffs and Chinese retaliation

Car Manufacturers Howling about new US Tariffs and Chinese retaliation

On July 6 new US tariffs will be applied on a variety of manufactured goods imported from China. China has warned they will immediately retaliate with a 25% countervailing duty on cars imported from the US. China is the largest automobile market in the world, with a rate of growth greater than the USA.

GM, Ford, and BMW AG have complained that the tit-for-tat between the US and China will threaten jobs in their US manufacturing facilities.

Adding to the angst in the automotive industry, President Trump asked on May 23 for an inquiry into the "national security" implications of foreign sourced components of vehicles manufactured in the USA. Foreign content typically may account for 45% to 50% of the costs of a new vehicle.

Toyota USA pointed out that they have 10 US manufacturing plants, and a 25% tariff on imported auto parts would increase the costs of a Toyota Camry by an estimated $1,800.

Meanwhile Trump has suggested a new 20% tariff on cars assembled in Europe, and the EU warned of countervailing duties.

So, it's unanimous. Canada retaliates, China retaliates, EU retaliates, Mexico retaliates.

I recall 3/1/2018 when Donald Trump tweeted, ...trade wars are good, and easy to win.

He is a moron.

Trump doesn't have a policy in all likelihood. Then again globalization wasn't any kind of policy that made any sense either. Trade treaties without significant labor and environmental protections don't make sense (and in many ways perhaps neither does globalization, shipping things all over the world when they could be made locally, often doesn't make much sense).
    Trees don't grow on money

Williamsmith
    I have a 2014 Tacoma and a 2017 Rav 4......The cost of Toyotas can skyrocket and it won’t bother me. In fact, it will just make my cars worth more on the used market.

My 2017 Dodge Charger Hellcat is an American icon, a symbol of the resurgence of the old-school muscle car, a triumph of petroleum-wasting American brawn and brash over European hybrid-elegance.

The 707+ hp engine is hand-made in Mexico. The car is built in Canada. It's world-beating 8-speed automatic transmission is from Germany. The remarkably well-balanced and capable chassis is a Mercedes design. I think the crappy plastic interior is made in the USA.

trade in many cases doesn't make a lot of sense, but yes considering cars were made badly enough in the u.s. for a period of time that whole generations wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole at this time, it's not a great example. But at this point foreign brands (Toyota, Honda etc.) are as likely to be made in the U.S. as "American" brands. Besides given that they only want to make SUVs now well ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I have a 2014 Tacoma and a 2017 Rav 4......The cost of Toyotas can skyrocket and it won’t bother me. In fact, it will just make my cars worth more on the used market.
    Perhaps now would be a good time to invest in Carmax.

This post gave me a needed chuckle as I work through some careful letter writing. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My 2017 Dodge Charger Hellcat is an American icon, a symbol of the resurgence of the old-school muscle car, a triumph of petroleum-wasting American brawn and brash over European hybrid-elegance.

The 707+ hp engine is hand-made in Mexico. The car is built in Canada. It's world-beating 8-speed automatic transmission is from Germany. The remarkably well-balanced and capable chassis is a Mercedes design. I think the crappy plastic interior is made in the USA.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My Jeep Wrangler is made in Ohio, but is owned now by Fiat. My wife’s BMW I believe was built in South Carolina. Of coarse I’m not sure where the majority of the parts are made.

But maybe it would be nice if more things were made in the USA. I can remember when Wallmart bought made in the USA products, but that just shows how old I’m getting.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    My Jeep Wrangler is made in Ohio, but is owned now by Fiat. My wife’s BMW I believe was built in South Carolina. Of coarse I’m not sure where the majority of the parts are made.

But maybe it would be nice if more things were made in the USA. I can remember when Wallmart bought made in the USA products, but that just shows how old I’m getting.
    Just a serious question. How many decisions about making products outside the US were made by corporations who were held accountable to generate a profit by US shareholders and other investors? Basically, what or who drove the industries to move overseas or, more to the point now, how many products are made locally by robots in the US using prefab parts made elsewhere?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information