Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retirement date - your thoughts?

I retired 11 years ago, just shy of turning 50. I should have quit sooner. I sure enjoyed those years much more doing what I wanted instead of going to work.

If you can make it financially I’d go. I always say you don’t know how much time you have, don’t waste it. I don’t know what working two more years will do for you, I’ve know a few that kept putting retireing off and then missed out on some good years do to health.

Looking back, retireing at 50 instead of 60 cost me a few million. But I’ve already lived longer than my mom and several other friends and relatives. So the kids won’t inherit as much when I’m gone, or the wife’s next husband will have to get by on a little less.

It was still worth it to me.

Rachel, Working longer is pretty much always the best case scenario financially, and working until you drop dead is the ultimate best-case financial scenario. Luckily, there is more to life than money, but you do need to be able to pay the bills. What kind of shape will you be in financially if you retire now? If you would be in reasonably decent shape, then count me as another vote for placing a premium value on your finite time on the planet and making the most of it.
    I retired 2 years earlier than was my plan and I have to be a little bit more conservative financially, but I have no regrets.

Your best financial scenario is 2 more years of work. Your other comments are about how to cope with these 2 more years. It rather sounds like you've already made up your mind about staying 2 more years.

You haven't talked about your financial scenario if you jump now? Have you evaluated that at all?

Are there any options at your current work? Can you talk to your boss at all about the negative affects on your health? (I do well know this is not always doable).

What happens to your mental/physical health if you stay?

I retired 2 years early due to stress and my bp went down a lot. Plus 3 of my friends have died between 59 and 67. Life can be short. But the big question is can you afford it?

I really appreciate all the responses. It helps a lot just to be "heard." Steve in MN, what you said about not being able to do the "emotional divorce" expresses my situation so well--extra hours, lots of availability.

Rosarugosa, you gave me a laugh about the "ultimate best case scenario financially!"

From how I see the numbers, I can retire now if I get another job after quitting "This Job." It would be for way less money, but most likely also less stress and more predictable hours. If I could get something with medical benefits I might do that.

I actually think that making a commitment to myself to just get out of the building once a day could make a difference. I'll definitely work on that.

You've all given me points to consider, much appreciated.

Husband retired a twice before. This week he has his letter of resignation ready. He is 56 and ready this time. The stress and hours will kill him we both know. A few more years would financially be the best, but at what cost? Same as you say. The mental struggle of retiring was getting pretty bad, looking at the negative vs the positive. Last week the wheel finally spun the other direction and the positive thoughts started. He took this coming week off before resigning to take a break from the issue.

Good luck and yes get out of building once a day it may make the difference you need. I think if hubby should separate himself from 24/7 it would but he won't.

Continuing my reply:

Some sort of part time work is quite possible, part or full time---just won't be as remunerative.

To TeacherTerry: Yes, I can afford it. And I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to say that. I could cover all the basics and have some fun too. I am so grateful to be able to say that. But I would have to give up traveling and I might have to leave less for my children. That would be a very big loss for me and I'm not ready to "let them take that away from me."

I like the suggestion to do a dry run of frugal retirement living, that is something I can do and I think it would make me feel more empowered to see myself actually living out this scenario while an ongoing "safety net" (the job) is still in place.

These are all good specifics to mull over. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    and I might have to leave less for my children. That would be a very big loss for me and I'm not ready to "let them take that away from me."
    I find it sad that you would continue to go to a negative-impact work environment to leave money to your children at some point X down the road. Why is that more important than your own mental/physical health and enjoying YOUR life?

If you took this inheritance OUT of the equation how does it change your financial forecast?

I agree with G. Not sure if I would want to give up travel.

Thread Information