Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trump up in polling among Hispanics

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    It's gotten to the point that I minimize my time in other parts of Phoenix that are red (code word for where the money is - moneyed areas in Phoenix tend to be very red and very heartless and very pro income inequality in America). Rob
    Why? It isn’t contagious.

I recently spent a day in Madison WI, but felt no urges to abolish ICE or force everybody into Medicare.

Williamsmith
    Thankfully I can report that here in the 85006 Trump does not poll well with Hispanics (or anyone else for that matter). Perhaps it's the huge and only growing gap in income inequality in America......

There are numerous valid reasons why Trump is despised in the 85006 is my point. It's gotten to the point that I minimize my time in other parts of Phoenix that are red (code word for where the money is - moneyed areas in Phoenix tend to be very red and very heartless and very pro income inequality in America). Rob
    I’m all for income inequality ....just as long as it’s fair.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The 85006 must be in total crisis mode now!
    No rudeness intended here, ok? This is going to sound a bit rude but I don't mean anything at all personal by it. That said, in lower income neighborhoods all across America, every day is crisis mode. It's a lifestyle America brutally forces many into so that those at the top can become yet more and more and more wealthy at the cost of everyone else.

I really worry for the future of this country as human history serves to show much better than I can that situations with this level of inequality are unsustainable and people do rise up and overthrow systems that go too far. Perhaps in my lifetime, perhaps not, but if nothing changes, at some point down the line. And it won't be pretty, if past human history is any indication...…..Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am wealthy. I did not vote for Trump. He has made things difficult and unpredictable for my portfolio management. I'd rather have someone boring.
    Kudos and respect to you from the 85006....I really do respect you for not voting for Trump, Bae.....that said, I'm curious...….hasn't he been good for the wealthy, for those with significant assets tied up on Wall Street? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just trying to understand and get the story from someone with actual assets is all. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh, I agree that The Hispanics are not of one monolithic mind. I just wonder if thoses here can see that. But perhaps “ “ Hispanics of the 85006” are all in agreement for all things. They are represented as such here on this site.
    The 85006 overall with few exceptions does tend to vote/agree/see things the same way, yes. I would hazard to guess one reason is that many Hispanics here have not been in the US for long, and those that have tend to have very strong connections with friends and family outside of the US...…...given that they have not fully intergrated, they tend to have a similar take on most issues. And a very easy to understand take, too, for anyone non-Hispanic whose ever lived in fear of America/been an economic victim of America. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Again, voting for trump was only smart if you are wealthy. So they voted to harm their country, themselves and future generations. Not what I would call a intelligent move.
    I could not agree more but one thing I will say? Few in my now infamous on this board zip code voted for Trump...….the biggest reason was/is fear of lack of access to health care, which of course there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for given that every other developed country has some system of universal access to health care in place for it's citizens. At least in my small part of the world we did not vote against access to health care for everyday people via voting for Trump. When I'm out and about in my part of town I can hold up my head high knowing this. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    President Trump’s popularity has risen recently, especially among Hispanics. Given the last ten days of media hyper focus on separating Latino children from their parents at our southern border, I am surprised.

What is going on here? Perhaps our emissary from the 85006 could provide insight into this thinking among persons of Hispanic background.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...-to-47-percent

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...cs_137382.html
    Emissary from the 85006? This is perhaps the kindest way you have ever referred to me, IL, and I will admit to being slightly flattered. For what it's worth, Thank You.

Quick take: The 85006 is comprised mostly of Hispanics who have not fully integrated into the US (which is one reason I fit in so well here, I myself am far from being fully integrated and at this late date I don't see it ever happening in my case)…..either they are recently arrived or if they have been here for some time, they maintain very strong ties to culture, family, and friends in their homeland, with many of them having even stronger ties than I maintain with Austria. Due to this lack of full integration, it is possible for these folks to be cold bloodedly practical and vote for basic everyday survival for lower income folks - something that the Trump Administration was and is actively against.

As far as Hispanics polling for Trump, supporting Trump in any way, shape, or form, my take is if this is true, it's from Hispanics much more fully integrated into the US and the American way of thinking. You are not going to find very much of this, if at all, in the 85006. Those that choose to fully integrate tend to move on from the 85006 and lose their ties to the 85006. Rob

The 85006 overall with few exceptions does tend to vote/agree/see things the same way, yes. I would hazard to guess one reason is that many Hispanics here have not been in the US for long, and those that have tend to have very strong connections with friends and family outside of the US...…...given that they have not fully intergrated, they tend to have a similar take on most issues. And a very easy to understand take, too, for anyone non-Hispanic whose ever lived in fear of America/been an economic victim of America. Rob
    I think you must be exaggerating a bit. Are you saying that many of your peeps came to the US, and stay, making them victims of America? It seems that they would return home if their ties to home and family were so strong and residence in America were so intolerable. Might there be a little bit of projection there?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Bae.....that said, I'm curious...….hasn't he been good for the wealthy, for those with significant assets tied up on Wall Street? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just trying to understand and get the story from someone with actual assets is all. Rob
    First of all, the stock market recovery and movement, IMO, isn't primarily due to Trump, but rather to a longer term trend, see here:

https://www.quora.com/Under-Trumps-P...e406&srid=dQpB

I see no reason to credit him for the trend.

What I *have* observed is tremendous volatility, generally tied directly to Trump's tweet-of-the-day.

I invest with a very long time horizon. I value the ability to analyze data, calculate risk, and develop statistical models that produce reasonable performance, over time, with acceptable risk. The current madness has made me have to rewrite complicated models that I've been using successfully, through ups and downs, through different Presidents and Congresses, for nearly 25 years now.

Furthermore, I am of the opinion, looking at market movements, that Trump is on the phone late at night with major players asking for their advice, or bragging about what he is going to do in the morning, and they are *trading on that information*.

The level of graft, self-dealing, unpredictability, and the lack of transparency is poisoning the well.

So, since I value responsible government, rule of law, transparency, fairness, and so on - Trump isn't my choice. As a rich person. Even if my metric is purely portfolio performance, I believe I can make more money over the long run if we have stable markets, and a stable government.

Yes, I'm up *a lot* since he was elected, but I don't think it's because of him, and that's not my main interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    First of all, the stock market recovery and movement, IMO, isn't primarily due to Trump, but rather to a longer term trend, see here:

https://www.quora.com/Under-Trumps-P...e406&srid=dQpB

I see no reason to credit him for the trend.

What I *have* observed is tremendous volatility, generally tied directly to Trump's tweet-of-the-day.

I invest with a very long time horizon. I value the ability to analyze data, calculate risk, and develop statistical models that produce reasonable performance, over time, with acceptable risk. The current madness has made me have to rewrite complicated models that I've been using successfully, through ups and downs, through different Presidents and Congresses, for nearly 25 years now.

Furthermore, I am of the opinion, looking at market movements, that Trump is on the phone late at night with major players asking for their advice, or bragging about what he is going to do in the morning, and they are *trading on that information*.

The level of graft, self-dealing, unpredictability, and the lack of transparency is poisoning the well.

So, since I value responsible government, rule of law, transparency, fairness, and so on - Trump isn't my choice. As a rich person. Even if my metric is purely portfolio performance, I believe I can make more money over the long run if we have stable markets, and a stable government.

Yes, I'm up *a lot* since he was elected, but I don't think it's because of him, and that's not my main interest.
    Oh I think Trump gets credit for the rising market because he is sitting int the seat. Some of the big jumps happened due to him just being who he is ( jump from the Dow’s 18,000 to 20,000 and no dip below) upon his electon, for instance. While the trendline in Obsma’s time was upward, there was no significant single jump. Obama’s trendline flirted with 20,000 over and over, but couldnt get there.

Not saying this has anything to do with Trump policy or actions it’s just the way it is. The stock market is unpredictable and often illogical.

warren Buffet complained about recent volitility, but our financial advisor said “not really” to the volitility, so there is divided opinion on that.

C8CDC3E3-1607-4733-BCEC-02EF68E36A72.jpg
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-10-18 at 8:22pm.

Thread Information