Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many workplaces suck

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I have also heard our culture in general is getting more narcissistic and that people kn charge tend to already be that way.,....
    Really? I wouldn't have noticed (sarcasim): selfie!

It certainly seems to be easier to be amoral as the money is, if your going to catch it.

I would say 20 or even 30 years ago I had nuturing or helpful bosses. In the last 10 years in particular, I can't say the same. There is more of a tranactional rather than relationship focus ie its "what have you done for me lately". Managers are also expected to manage more people in the past, and I think are under even more pressure from their bosses to do the impossible. I see good managers either get burned out and leave or slowly become more cynical about their futures, while this sort of thing doesn't bother the sociopathic ones.

I've had 4 managers in the last 16 months (all at the same place). Three of the four never even had regular meetings with me. Latest boss (because the manager in between left and will not be replaced) hasn't even acknowledged me in any way in the month or so I've worked for him. I'm just hoping to make it successfully to next summer and then possibly retire.

In my 15 years with the state only one of my bosses was a jerk and we all did the happy dance when he left.

I wouldn't say it is all managers, I am both an employee and a manager myself. I know one former staff person told me I had no empathy at all because she was out again and I was just focused on covering the program (she jaywalked with head phones in and was hit by a car). She was surprised that a good reason for missing work did not guarantee her a job, So I know that people are put in difficult positions all over. Since I am out on medical leave for a mental breakdown at work I kinda know this, on one hand I understand they just put me in a situation they needed someone, on the other hand there was a lot of opportunity to support that was not even attempted.

What I am seeing is that the basic caring behaviors are not as apparent or supported in many places. And that the work load and speed has become unmanageable for many places. In my case education is driven now by business models and a general lack of respect for educators. We can really feel it.

And still bosses are the #1 reason people leave jobs, or stay in them.

Too many years as a manager has led me to certain opinions:

Excellent managers are rare. Excellent subordinates are even more rare.

An employee’s value to the organization tends to be inversely proportionate to the degree of whining and second-guessing emitted.

Work does not equal family. You forget that at your peril.

If you need someone to blame for your unhappiness, your boss makes an excellent focal point.

It is highly unlikely that you are a misunderstood genius who truly could do it better if only they’d listen.

Look for fulfillment on your own time. We aren’t paying you to self-actualize.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Work does not equal family. You forget that at your peril.
    +1

I used to have to tell my husband that all the time when he owned a small business and had about 8 employees. He would take it personally if they didn't treat him like their best bud. In a scarily Trumpian-style reaction, he was once angry when he found out one of them was looking for another job--he felt like she was being disloyal to him.

I repeatedly told him you may like them, and they may like you, but they are not your FRIENDS. They are your EMPLOYEES. They owe you NOTHING except a job well done. It took him forever to digest that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    In my case education is driven now by business models and a general lack of respect for educators. We can really feel it.

And still bosses are the #1 reason people leave jobs, or stay in them.
    Agreed. I feel sorry for you educators today. I've seen some of my educator friends retire early because the rewards are so small for the administrative hassles and the lack of autonomy they have in doing their jobs. And throw in the lack of support from parents.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I worked for the state there were 3 evaluators. As people left they did not replace them and eventually I was doing the work of 3. I did that for 5 years and was burned out. When I retired the person left quickly, next person said I won’t even try to do that much work. She stayed 2 years and left. Our state is lean on workers but not supervisors. Too many chiefs.

I think that's part of why I'm afraid to get a new job. I work alone at the church and I'm admin over everything. Not sure I'd make a good employee in an office with others these days.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Agreed. I feel sorry for you educators today. I've seen some of my educator friends retire early because the rewards are so small for the administrative hassles and the lack of autonomy they have in doing their jobs. And throw in the lack of support from parents.
    More than one person has told me that they work in parochial schools despite lower pay because parents of their students are on board with educational goals. They feel as though parents are on their team.

Not so much that in public schools, it is too often an adversarial relationship between school and parents, at least in the eyes of parents.

Thread Information