Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Dark is your personality? Machiavellianism, narcissism and psychopathy...

I couldn't manipulate my way out of a wet paper bag; like Catherine, I'd make the poorest salesperson the world has ever known. Like Iris Lily, I'm disinterested in the trappings of the rich, and in being noticed. Just point me to the library.

Surprisingly saintly here, it seems understanding we do better together and having a firm grip on karma helps. I really don't wish anyone harm, but I may wish boundaries. But like iris i really don't care what people think of me, sometimes i find i need to in order to not get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That is a quality of the saintly, hate to tell ya.
    Whoever is defining “saintliness” that way needs to go back to theology school, then. Sorry! I am not attacking you,
    I just find that info to be strange and wrong.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Well, well, well.....chiming in from the 85006 with my results...color me infrequently vile. I was a bit surprised by this and retook the quiz and ended out with the exact same results. I guess I never said I was a saint, no? Rob

I've thought about this a bit and I think it boils down to all my years of waiting tables...….where you have to play games and manipulate people non stop in a bid for economic survival. It's a simple and as brutal as that - there is no waiting tables without manipulating to survive. The nature of the job does not allow for survival without manipulation. Am I a good manipulator? I've survived a very brutal business for many years, longer than most folks do......I'm not sure this is a good comment upon myself, but regardless, it's true, and once on a floor in a tipped serving position I am indeed very good at manipulating people - mostly to bump up the check, to avoid a guest ordering anything time consuming or problematic that could potentially slow me down/go wrong through no fault of my own/create customer complaints which are completely unwarranted but given that this is the United States, I have very little if any chance of achieving justice over.

Another good reason to manipulate guests as a server in a restaurant - you want to get that menu out of the guest's hands as quickly as you can - mere seconds can count here - before the guest inadvertently and of course most often unknowingly turns around and uses the menu against you as a weapon......weapon here not in the sense of physical harm but in the sense of complaints, special requests that slow you down/piss off the kitchen at you through no fault of your own, overly lengthy perusal of ingredients in a particular dish - it is all about maintaining a fake pleasant demeanor in spite of whatever insanity you are navigating your way through and moving quickly and manipulating guests to not cause issues/disturbances/unwarranted complaints.

The dark side of this? Manipulation becomes a skill that is in your survival tool set box, like it or not. No one says you have to use it, but it is indeed there and one of your options once you've lived in this nether dark world of survival enough years. I choose not to use it (often) but regrettably, I'll never be young again in the sense of this skill not being there and not being very close to fully honed. Good thing I choose to spend my energy on my home and on social justice.....I'm afraid of who I might become as a politician or now that I have thought it over better, who office work might force me to become in a bid for economic survival in America.

Very interesting topic, btw. Rob

PS I wanted to come back and state that one of the reasons I am content in my current position - very little need on my part to manipulate anyone...….it's all about moving fast and being productive, and those that can produce find me a fair supervisor that is (no pun intended here) straight to deal with and not about games/BS/power. Those who can't produce.....the job is set up to monitor production and after a few talks, I unfortunately have to call the temp service to let that particular person go, like it or not. But I also will say when I sit someone down for one of these talks, I am very very very clear about what it is that is not being delivered and what the particular employee would have to change/start implementing to ensure they never sit across from me in such a situation again. A favorite line of mine which is very sincere is that I'd much rather be expressing gratitude for your performance than sitting across from you here and now in this office. I then go on to tell said temp what needs to change so that such talks do not reoccur/escalate.

My point is that I make an honest effort to be decent and fair within the parameters I have to work with - especially since in the past I have had so many lousy bosses.....it's like I'm morally obligated to not be that way. And I also believe it would be very disrespectful to my neighborhood, my friends and family, the 85006, and the Austrian Flag to be an (expletive) supervisor. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Whoever is defining “saintliness” that way needs to go back to theology school, then. Sorry! I am not attacking you,
    I just find that info to be strange and wrong.
    I'll stack my 12 years of Catholic school against your training on saintliness. Most of my favorite saints were as brusque as you are, IL. Dorothy Day, Theresa of Avila, Bernadette Roberts (not a saint yet, but someday she will be. Actually Dorothy Day is not a saint yet either, but I have high hopes). Why would you think that saints care about what people think about them?? Their sights are on a different level.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Shockingly saintly. I suspect evil people manipulate their answers, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I couldn't manipulate my way out of a wet paper bag; like Catherine, I'd make the poorest salesperson the world has ever known. Like Iris Lily, I'm disinterested in the trappings of the rich, and in being noticed. Just point me to the library.
    I don't share your lack of manipulative skills, but do I ever hear you as to be disinterested in the trappings of the rich and in being noticed. Also I could not agree with you more about being pointed to the library......a very happy day was June 16th for me in Phoenix as the main library downtown reopened that day after having been closed for ELEVEN months due to damages caused by a monsoon storm.

It's almost like I'd move into that library if I could.....Rob

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'll stack my 12 years of Catholic school against your training on saintliness. Most of my favorite saints were as brusque as you are, IL. Dorothy Day, Theresa of Avila, Bernadette Roberts (not a saint yet, but someday she will be. Actually Dorothy Day is not a saint yet either, but I have high hopes). Why would you think that saints care about what people think about them?? Their sights are on a different level.
    Hmmm, interesting!

Well yes, I can understand that being unconcerned about what people think of me may be a trait of saints, ok. I guess I can see that.

But I am thinking more about how I (the generic me) treats people BECAUSE of my lack of concern. I am not always kind and caring. That is a different thing I guess, and I cant help but think Jesus would not be proud of me at times.

I'm an angel. Of course, that's what Satan would claim too :-)

Thread Information