Taking another break from my busy day and I wanted to put this out there for thought and discussion. I've avoided social media pretty successfully for a few reasons: strained family-of-origin relationships, a desire to avoid the comparison (and resulting envy/resentment/lust) that these platforms engender, and the awareness that for someone who suffers from mental illness this could lead to some dangerous territory. In many ways, I feel that social media brings us emotionally back to high school with an unhealthy obsession over likes, attention, etc. And an unhealthy need for instant gratification. There have been many studies and reports of social media use correlating to feelings of loneliness and depression. I don't need any more of that, thank you very much.

But..... there is also the cost of not being on social media. Isolation is a big one.

I don't really know where the cost/benefit situation is at this point. Am I being wisely cautious or overly cautious? Don't know.

Would love to hear other people's points of view on this. If you struggle with depression/mental illness/compulsive behavior or addiction (or know someone who does), I would especially appreciate hearing your opinion and experience on this.

I sometimes wonder if putting myself on social media would be the equivalent of putting an extroverted recovering alcoholic in a bar every day. The potential for damage would be substantial. But that's where all your friends and family are. How do you maintain your relationships, and fulfill your need for connection, without hurting yourself?