Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Social Media and Mental Illness

Geila
    Thanks for the excellent discussion, everyone. I've decided that I will continue to avoid social media. I don't count this site, even though it technically is, because it's not addictive and it feels safe. My depression is in remission and I've structured my life in a way that anxiety rarely rears it's ugly head anymore. I don't want to jeopardize that. I've worked too long and too hard for it. If that means I feel socially isolated sometimes, I'm okay with that.

Life and relationships did exist before Facebook, after all!

My husband would tell you I'm addicted to facebook but really I've pretty much put every one I know on there as "unfollowed"....but I do get a lot of fun out of a gardening group on there.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I've read an article about how the use of social media, particularly for surveillance use, actually triggers (or aggravates existing) depression. The surveillance use is particularly interesting because there are a lot of people who aren't necessarily active in social media in terms of posting or sharing their thoughts and experiences but constantly uses social media as a way to "check on" how their friends are doing. This is where all the comparison, jealousy, and even self-pity is coming from. Sadly, more and more people experience this "isolation" amidst the seemingly endless "connection" that social media brings.

When I did a study with my psych students, we found this to be the case, even with people not suffering from depression.

Not a fan of Facebook, even sold my stock because I can't stand to profit from this.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Interesting thread. It is not going to surprise anyone here that I'm a fan of social media - not after all my police brutality/download video of police behavior to social media posts. I have not thought about mental health issues surrounding social media before....I do have a Facebook Page and I do participate on FB, mostly to keep in touch with any number of people I've waited tables with........but I can see for some people there would be comparisons going on.

I guess it's not without it's dark side, too........like many other things. Rob

Thread Information