Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible future employers and social media

Don't put anything on social media that you would not want on a massive banner. You are in charge.
    BTW, I see nothing wrong with having an interest in diving or swimming or tennis or a trampoline or skiing or ... Choose what you are comfortable sharing and so be it.
    Seemed to me that this was an interview to avoid anyway, Tradd.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Don't put anything on social media that you would not want on a massive banner. You are in charge.
    BTW, I see nothing wrong with having an interest in diving or swimming or tennis or a trampoline or skiing or ... Choose what you are comfortable sharing and so be it.
    Seemed to me that this was an interview to avoid anyway, Tradd.
    Razz, I think that's the point--I don't want anything on a "massive banner," and I think posting on Facebook can be quite deleterious to one's economic future, in this era of universal surveillance.

Tradd, While crazy and annoying was the HR person’s behaviour, ya gotta be a little bit proud at the Badass image you projected to her! Intimidating you are.

On a related note, I cant even read the other thread where you posted comments from divers about the boys in
    thailand. It is all so horrifying. Ugh. Awful.

That is too weird. I have to believe it is a prank.

Not as uncommon as you might think... My early 20s grandsons report that the First thing prospective employers look at is your FB page and any where else they can find you on social media, even before completely reading a resume or application materials.

I know this to be true for many teaching jobs as well. The boys cautioned me about having pictures with them so prominently posted- "full grown grandsons, you are OLD!" (Incidentally, that was a plus when I applied for a part time tutoring gig this past spring; I am obviously basically retired and wouldn't be leaving to take a full time job.)

We had a lot of fun looking at pages and making assumptions about the people based on was was posted. I have quite a number of friends on FB who use scenery as the cover photo and a pet's face as the profile picture for exactly this reason.

Oh, and if your friends list is in any way accessible, they run through until they find an opening to get to your page. Again, not as difficult as you might wish.

at a certain point it's in the realm of can't be helped, I mean yes noone shouldn't post pictures of being passed out on the floor drunk but beyond that. So one decides not to have any social media accounts say, but I've heard even that can be seen as suspicious as well, like: "why doesn't this person have any social media accounts?". Or one is afraid of one's age being known say, but one can't hide that that easily, if they know your name and the town you are living in they can often easily find your age from a simple search engine search (yes this depends on how common one's name is, how big the town one lives in, if they still live in their hometown or have been where they are a long time etc. but the information is often out there....).

I think the HR person was foolish for rejecting for that reason BUT they did you a favor in letting you know why they did so, as someone else might think likewise. It really is so rare to get any feedback.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes View Post
    That is too weird. I have to believe it is a prank.
    That makes sense, maybe so.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Tradd, While crazy and annoying was the HR person’s behaviour, ya gotta be a little bit proud at the Badass image you projected to her! Intimidating you are.

On a related note, I cant even read the other thread where you posted comments from divers about the boys in
    thailand. It is all so horrifying. Ugh. Awful.
    Didn’t even think about it that way! Fun! Can you imagine the reaction to my other hobby? LOL

I’m leaving diving pics up. I’m very careful to keep the other hobby off FB.

Just because one company (or their HR dept) thinks it too dangerous, doesn’t mean everyone does. If a company said, quit diving or we won’t hire you, I wouldn’t take the job!
    Last edited by Tradd; 7-8-18 at 9:39am.

I agree with you on your handling of both hobbies Tradd. I can see the other hobby pushing someone's buttons, especially nowadays. I can also easily imagine you mentioning diving in an interview, so if diving was going to be a deal-breaker, you saved yourself the time, effort & stress of a fruitless interview.

Thread Information