Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible future employers and social media

Possible future employers and social media

I was approached on LinkedIn about a job that seemed interesting. I was contacted by someone from HR, not a recruiter. Said person gave me the link to apply. Before I had the chance to apply, I was contacted again and asked NOT to apply.

The reason? They had found my FB profile and didn’t approve of my cover photo and profile pic which show me diving. I was told my hobby was too dangerous. I was surprised and simply responded that I was sorry they felt that way, nothing more.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I was approached on LinkedIn about a job that seemed interesting. I was contacted by someone from HR, not a recruiter. Said person gave me the link to apply. Before I had the chance to apply, I was contacted again and asked NOT to apply.

The reason? They had found my FB profile and didn’t approve of my cover photo and profile pic which show me diving. I was told my hobby was too dangerous. I was surprised and simply responded that I was sorry they felt that way, nothing more.
    Some people believe we live in a free country. Here is proof otherwise. I'm just glad you did not leave your job or get in any serious stages of the employment process so that it's easy (though very creepy and disconcerting and scary, too) to let this go. And set your FB privacy settings as high as they can go. Rob

What! That is just crazy in my opinion. I understand social media that is political or offensive in some way, maybe showing a party lifestyle. But DIVING, I never thought it was that dangerous when done safely like you obviously dive. Besides that is on your own time, none of their business. I can't believe this crazy stuff, are they a reputable organization/ business?

My profile pic is my grandbaby with one of several Yoda stuffies. I am an admin to several Buddhist groups, hopefully our tendency to unleash peace won't be an issue.

I am sorry, I know you have been open to a new position for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Some people believe we live in a free country. Here is proof otherwise. I'm just glad you did not leave your job or get in any serious stages of the employment process so that it's easy (though very creepy and disconcerting and scary, too) to let this go. And set your FB privacy settings as high as they can go. Rob
    My page is locked down but your cover photo and profile pic are public. I’d have thought that diving was very unobjectionable!

I make sure to keep politics and the like off FB. It’s primarily diving on FB. People love my pics and videos. My other hobby (which I’ll admit has suffered since I started diving) is not mentioned on FB at all. I have other places I discuss that (hobby specific forums).

Yipes!

I think that means I must be unemployable, if "dangerous activities" is the new standard.

That is crazy!

Oh no, i post a lot of crochet. Could be at risk for an excessive crochet injury

I would think more employers would find it favorable. It's a healthy and interesting hobby.

Yppej
    What are they going to do next, send a spy to peer into people's back yards to see if they have trampolines?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    What are they going to do next, send a spy to peer into people's back yards to see if they have trampolines?
    Nah.....much more cost effective to send over a drone to do the spying/take photographic proof. Rob

Thread Information