Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Beast Revelation

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    UL, I think the common belief of most modern Christian is that many of the Old Testament laws were fulfilled or replaced by the coming of the Messiah. You could do your own search of topic and get a better explanation of this than I could give here.
    I am aware of that common belief. But does that excuse the actions of God during that time period? That is my question to Christians who hold that common belief.

The Old Testament is used, when needed, by "Christian" hypocrites as a blunt instrument. They always seem to overlook the awkward parts about dire punishment for wearing clothes of mixed fibers or touching pigskin. Leviticus is a laugh riot.

As an agnostic, I have occasional thoughts about the existence of God and the vastness of the multiverse, but never a thought about joining an organized religion.

I was raised Lutheran and we had to go to classes once a week for 3 years before we could get confirmed. The minister said at one point the Bible was written to help uneducated people with answers to their questions and also how to behave (10 commandments). My mom was not happy about that.

A few generations of my ancestors were Evangelical Lutheran pastors; I have an inordinate amount of religious branches on my family tree. I think they were happy to spend their time sitting and reading--even if it was mostly biblical stuff. Just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I am aware of that common belief. But does that excuse the actions of God during that time period? That is my question to Christians who hold that common belief.
    I probably don't rate very high of the common Christian scale, but I'll tell you what I think. The Bible and especially the old testament has contradictions, errors, and things about people that lived a few thousand years ago that we have trouble understanding now. If you discount the whole thing because of that, you might also be missing some wisdom and maybe some degree of spirituality. It has some historic interest and some lessons and rule about to live a good life that are loving rather than cruel. There are allegories that seem silly if taken at face value, but also some interesting lessons. Some people have found their true God and religion through that, too. The Bible is a decent book that has gotten twisted around with various organized religions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I probably don't rate very high of the common Christian scale, but I'll tell you what I think. The Bible and especially the old testament has contradictions, errors, and things about people that lived a few thousand years ago that we have trouble understanding now. If you discount the whole thing because of that, you might also be missing some wisdom and maybe some degree of spirituality. It has some historic interest and some lessons and rule about to live a good life that are loving rather than cruel. There are allegories that seem silly if taken at face value, but also some interesting lessons. Some people have found their true God and religion through that, too. The Bible is a decent book that has gotten twisted around with various organized religions.
    Is it divine?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Is it divine?
    Does being divine mean the acceptance of a supreme being? Then not for an atheist and since my concept of God is not anthropomorphic maybe not for me. I think it might be divinely inspired with a looser definition of divination, but still the work of man's fallible hand. Is love and forgiveness divine? I think it is something we just have to answer for ourselves. Possibly a person with more faith might add to my take.

The founding fathers were deitists and believed God wound up the world like a clock and let it go.

I read "the founding fathers were dentists" and wondered why they didn't do a better job with Washington's teeth...

Notice how the OP is missing in action. I noticed Jane that I spelled it wrong. Maybe just having some fun with us

Thread Information