Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what if they don't want me back

what if they don't want me back

I am planning on calling work and talking about my return. I have no idea if they will be compassionate, or if they will say I am not capable of doing my job, or what. I know I have some rights here and I have been counting on that, but we all know that is not the whole story. They could easily show that I simply did not do the tasks I was told to do without regard for the rest of the story. So I may be looking at quitting even though I can't afford it really,

That scares me a lot, I am trying to remember that it does not mean unemployment forever or other dire circumstances. However I don't want to be naive and assume I can just get a job immediately. I have seen people in my age range struggle to get jobs.

So I am taking a lot of anxiety meds tonight, well within the DR's orders so don't worry about that.

I would count yourself blessed .

Don't quit.

Try not to stress about it too much -- stressing about things you have no control over is unproductive. I know, easy to say, harder to do. But seriously, THEY f-ed up to push you to this point. If they say you need to go, tell them you will be consulting a labor attorney.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

They may not. However seeing that you also don't want to go back (assuming that is the case since you have been looking for another job for sometime), that might be the best all around.

About your return to work:

has your therapist talked with you about any special accomodations you can ask of your workplace per the Americans with Disabilities Act? Now that your workplace has some idea that you have a mental disability, it might be a good idea to make that work for you. I dont know what accomodations might help, but things like getting instructions in writing rather than verbally (or vice verse) could be of help to you.

also, would it help you to have a supportive person with you during this upcoming meeting? I am not sure who that would be—your therapist ( i know, unlikely he would come) or you former job coach or an HR person?

Thank you all, And Lhamo I have said for some time that I am not leaving in a way that will screw me over. I have on record that I have been having issues with stress, that 3 people have told me my access to medical leave, and then I was put in a situation without consulting me about whether I felt I could manage it.

I will quit when I have another, reasonable, job offer. Until then I guess I will be thick skinned about going back.

ZG, use every option you have to keep that horrible job until you have another. So sorry you are going through this.

000_0235 (2).jpg

Wet and wild after the rain.

Can my accommodation be that they should be nice?

I have thought about it, maybe that I don't work all the camp days other than the ones that my school only has. I realize that planning well ahead is essential for me, part of the reason that this summer camp bombed. Last year I worked all the camp days thinking I was benefiting the team in some way and ended up in trouble anyway. It really burned me out.

Oh yeah! One thing I wanted to ask for was a flexible schedule, that means that I need to do at least 40 hours but if I do 10 hours one day and 6 hours another and make all my meetings that it is okay. Right now the policy is that each day we do 8 hours, if you work 12 hours one day you still have to do 8 all the other days. I can feel the off-balanced feeling building up from the long days without being able to adjust later in the week.

ZG, use every option you have to keep that horrible job until you have another. So sorry you are going through this.
    I'd have to agree with that at this point, super cynically yea, never ever did I believe it would be this hard to get a job. I would have kissed the ass of my verbal abuser despite the cruelty and unfairness of the constant abuse .. had I known. Oh I saved money in the past AS IF it would be this hard but never did I believe it really could be this way in a "good economy". Of course many people have better luck

It goes without saying you should keep looking for a new job. What you ultimately need is to get out of there of course. I'm pretty sure the problem is that workplace.

has your therapist talked with you about any special accomodations you can ask of your workplace per the Americans with Disabilities Act? Now that your workplace has some idea that you have a mental disability, it might be a good idea to make that work for you. I dont know what accomodations might help, but things like getting instructions in writing rather than verbally (or vice verse) could be of help to you.
    I suppose one could also somehow play up the implicit (or explicit) threat of a lawsuit (for discriminating against the disabled), playing dirty and could potentially backfire but could also be necessary ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information