I did an interview today with a pancreatic cancer patient who completely changed his eating habits, and he's striving to be one of the 5% who survive p.c. at 5 years. He was diagnosed in December 2014. He is at a healthy weight and he's keeping his fingers crossed. He has about 18 months to go.

One of the things that he feels is contributing to his health is the fact that he and his wife started juicing after his diagnosis. He drinks 24 oz a day of a juiced blend of kale, celery, cucumber and apple. Plus he eats no dairy, greasy foods, or red meat. He also takes vitamin supplements.

Obviously with cancer there is no magic bullet, and he said as much. He's also had an extremely aggressive regimen of radiation and chemotherapy following surgical removal of a good part of his pancreas, colon, and other organs.

But it got me thinking about juicing. I've resisted getting a juicer myself because it's another gadget. I expect it would sit in the kitchen mausoleum with my spirilizer, sausage-making attachment, and coffee grinder.

Then, if I did decide to buy a juicer, I'd have to consider whether I want the kind that keeps the fiber in or extracts it out. Then, if I keep the fiber in, why not just eat the darned fruits and vegetables raw?

Does anyone have a juicer? Do you use it? Is there any advantage to using one over just making yourself a nice big salad every day?