Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
Disclaimer: not a doctor, etc...

1. It sounds like he said juicing, but he may really mean something more along the lines of a green smoothie...all the fiber is retained.

2. Part of the reason I think that is he also avoids dairy, fat and meat...this to me means he's following a protocol from The China Study, made internet famous in the Forks Over Knives documentary. There is scientific evidence of reduced cancer growth when a whole food, plant based diet is consumed.

So, I don't think it's just the "juicing", but the entire lifestyle change that's helping his longevity.

As far as buying a juicer - why? Would you use it? Do you have a strong blender that you can try first? Friend / relative from whom you could borrow? Just food for thought.

Personally, I use a blender and drink a green smoothie about three times a week. One reason is just plain variety...I use my smoothie for breakfast, and switch it up with oatmeal or whole grain toast. I don't think I'd want to drink one daily, but I don't have the same motivators as your interviewee.
Thanks, lmerullo,

1) You're right--I think he meant keeping all the fiber in it, but I'm not 100%sure
2) He avoids fat, meat and dairy because his new digestive tract: embattled with chemo and radiation, and cut up to be half the size it was, cannot tolerate them--as he said, if he has a pizza, or a filet mignon, he very swiftly vomits or it comes out the other end. Yet, I still think his self-defined nutritional protocol his helped him. And it's not that he doesn't eat any animal-based protein--but he restricts it to chicken (organic) and fish.

I think you guys have already talked me out of adding yet another culinary trinket to my collection. For me, it would be about convenience. It gets boring chopping vegetables.