Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pet driving me crazy...........

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    This dog has lived with you for 15 years and now you want it to change behavior? It seriously isn't going to happen. You could get her the company you've identifed she misses or you could have it euthanized. Retraining is just not realistic.
    I disagree that still training her a little isn't possible........but not if only one adult is sticking to the plan.
    Also.......I would NEVER have her euthanized to make my life easier. Never. In fact, I won't euthanize, no matter what. That's just who I am.

I want to thank the others who have shared their feelings and experience with an older dog. It has let me "whine" a bit, and do some self-reflection, and I realize more now that I need to be more comforting and patient with my dog. I love her very much and the last thing I want to do, is be impatient or unsupportive with her in her remaining time here.

Cathy, my guess is that training her is not possible because she probably has dementia, based on your description. That's just my opinion. And if you do not want another pet, you should not get one in hopes that it will soothe her. If she has dementia, she may not react the way she used to react and may just be confused or frightened by the change.

The staring and then not being sure why she wants out--that was my Aussie in his last year and a half.

I was so lucky that my last beloved terrier died at home last April--the vet sort of provided palliative care but I knew in my heart she was going. i was so lucky--she died with me holding on to her--she had obviously been trying to go for a couple of days. She was sick, had had a stroke, had to be carried in and out of the house--but we really cherished every minute with her and I was so fortunate that she did me that last favor and died on her bed in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    .....I was so lucky that my last beloved terrier died at home last April--the vet sort of provided palliative care but I knew in my heart she was going. i was so lucky--she died with me holding on to her--she had obviously been trying to go for a couple of days. She was sick, had had a stroke, had to be carried in and out of the house--but we really cherished every minute with her and I was so fortunate that she did me that last favor and died on her bed in the kitchen.
    How beautiful that she died in probably what was her favorite place.

It was a blessing that she died in a comfortable place on her own terms.

I adopted an elderly dog two years ago. Last year she had learned sit and stay. Now, she needs to be guided with a treat to sit. She also wanders around the house aimlessly, tripping over anything in her path. And she gets stuck in corners, under kitchen chairs and gets confused as to which side of the door opens. But I expected these things when I adopted a 12-13ish year old dog.

I tried a few supplements; Cholodin has made her more perky. Animal Essentials Hawthorne herbal liquid has brought a wag to her tail. No change in her pacing and confusion, but she seems happier now, possibly a glimpse of what she was in her youth. It's a shame because she's really healthy and looks great for her age and she will probably have to be pts when her confusion is too much for her and she's scared of everything.

We are more humane to our animals than to people. Usually it is more humane to put a pet to sleep than let them die naturally. I have known a few instances where the pet died at home which is great but usually they need to be helped to the bridge. It is the last gift we give our babies. I don’t mean doing it because it is inconvenient but doing it when they are suffering. Always a tough call and my heart goes out to everyone faced with that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post

She is also asking for dinner at 4pm now. The earliest these dogs of mine eat is 5:30. She hangs out a while in her eating area, then gives up and walks back to her bed.

B
    That seems reasonable since people do the same thing. When I was growing up, and when I went to visit my folks as an adult, my parents always put dinner on the table at 5:30. On the dot. About 4 years after mom died dad moved himself to an assisted living facility where dinner was served from 4:30 to 6:00. Almost immediately he joined the walker traffic jam (although without a walker since he didn't need one) that started congregating at the door to the facility's dining room at around 4:15 every afternoon. There must be something about old age that inspires a desire to eat dinner earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    That seems reasonable since people do the same thing. When I was growing up, and when I went to visit my folks as an adult, my parents always put dinner on the table at 5:30. On the dot. About 4 years after mom died dad moved himself to an assisted living facility where dinner was served from 4:30 to 6:00. Almost immediately he joined the walker traffic jam (although without a walker since he didn't need one) that started congregating at the door to the facility's dining room at around 4:15 every afternoon. There must be something about old age that inspires a desire to eat dinner earlier...
    Hahaha, yes,
    I guess it is true. She is taking on the habitts of seniors.

Thread Information