We've had our dog for 15 years now. She was a stray that we kept. For a long time, we had to keep her on a leash, attached to some strong piece of furniture in order to keep her from going crazy and running everywhere in the house, and getting into trouble. She was probably about 4-6 months old when we found her. She has been a challenge to train, but it did get a little better. One of the biggest problems is that DH has never been able to discipline the dog or the children. I've done all that myself. I'm pretty consistent, but it all goes out the window when it isn't followed by DH.

We think she's probably a little, uh, well, uh, .....not real bright (or maybe the damage done to her when we found her wasn't very un-doable). But we've loved her all these years and have taken good care of her.
For a number of years, she had a cat friend that kept her company. But after the cat died, I just couldn't get another pet. I've taken care of pets of all sorts for a long time, and I just can't keep it up, after our dog is gone.

Her vision and hearing are bad, and I'm sure her brain isn't doing so hot either. She still has a fair amount of energy. She's on lots of meds for her gall bladder, thyroid, and her arthritis. We feed her good food.

Maybe it's just her old age, but she's driving me nuts. It's like having a toddler again. She whines to go out all the time, but as soon as she's outside, she barks to come in. I try to "wait it out"..........but she has more endurance than I have, and I don't want her to bark for hours. I also don't want to be mean to her. She's very insecure. She stays outside longer if we are out there with her. But lately, she's started to stand at the door and just stare........like she doesn't realize we are outside with her.......not inside.

In the house, she starts whining about 1 and 1/2 hours before meals, or when it's time for her meds (that she gets with a cucumber slice). She spends a lot of time just sitting there, staring at me.

I'm getting so frustrated. I really think a big part of the problem is that DH is never disciplined with her. He has essentially trained her to be like this.

I don't like my bad/frustrating feelings towards her now. I try to be loving to her. But dang........she drives me crazy. I think if she had another animal friend, it would help.........but I just don't have the energy for another pet.
Any suggestions? (I know, I know......I'm the one that needs a sedative.....haha)