Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back

Going back

For a half day tomorrow, got cleared and talked to sup. He wants to pick up where we left off with my improvement plan meeting! I have no clue what that is going to be like since i challenged him before i left. Surprisingly i am calm.

My counselor was super surprised that there is no meeting to work me back into work, about any limitations, and with no support from HR.

So i have one more interview on Thursday and the one tomorrow is for 2 potential jobs. So basically i have interviews for everything i applied for just last week. Cant get cocky about it but feeling super hopeful

Maybe your counselor needs to contact HR and suggest this? This crew really has no clue how to handle basic management practices!
    Mrs. Hermit

Your work “limitations” are defined by your Dr. , that is how it works.

I would think that your physician would consult with your therapist and if therapist had suggestions for limited work, Dr. would write that up assuming the Dr. himself has no recomendations.

It is not the role of your “sup” or your organization’s HR department to define limited work for you. They might give you reduced tasks and responsibility if that is their choice I suppose, but that comes fraught with issues.

Who prescribed part time work for you this week?

Is your case being handled by employee health? (it should be they who direct your supervisor as to work restrictions). Who approved you for return to work and with what limitations? Were those limitations shared with you?

Example:

I on a surgical FMLA. I cannot return to work until my employee health case manager contacts me. She will share with my boss my restrictions per Dr order and request that these can and will be accommodated. This is the correct process.

This is how it works when I have an employee returning from FMLA.

Don't go back to the same mess. Something has to change - you or the situation. The sup does not run the show.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    For a half day tomorrow, got cleared and talked to sup. He wants to pick up where we left off with my improvement plan meeting! I have no clue what that is going to be like since i challenged him before i left. Surprisingly i am calm.
    Who cleared you to go back to work? Who said it is to be half time, and what does that mean, in your work world? 4 hrs, 6 hours, split? Have you been in touch with an HR person? Did you Dr. give you accomodations? Going into an improvement plan meeting is, IMHO, totally inappropriate. Is there someone you can take into that meeting with you??

When I broke my wrist, the HMO (Kaiser) emailed my paperwork (Dr clearance to return to work) to HR, who reviewed it, spoke to my principal, then called to tell me to report to the site "as usual." That's how it should work. There are actually not only Best Practices around these things, but federal law and procedures for FMLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Is your case being handled by employee health? (it should be they who direct your supervisor as to work restrictions). Who approved you for return to work and with what limitations? Were those limitations shared with you?

Example:

I on a surgical FMLA. I cannot return to work until my employee health case manager contacts me. She will share with my boss my restrictions per Dr order and request that these can and will be accommodated. This is the correct process.

This is how it works when I have an employee returning from FMLA.
    Who does “ employee health” in your context work for? I think it means someone from your employer’s Human Resources Dept. but am not sure.

Zoe, can you call EAP and get guidance on the return process? This does not sound quite right, what they have set up, as it does not seem to follow what Iris and Gardnr are saying should be happening?

I would call therapist and psychiatrist and say that sup has scheduled a performance improvement review on your half day back??? This doesn't sound right, either.

If you had, say, broken your back at work, slipping on a wet floor, would they expect you to drag yourself back to work so soon? You have IIRC, weeks of earned vacation and/or comp time coming to you. Now it's back to the boss who caused all this so he can finish the job, I guess. What are you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If you had, say, broken your back at work, slipping on a wet floor, would they expect you to drag yourself back to work so soon? You have IIRC, weeks of earned vacation and/or comp time coming to you. Now it's back to the boss who caused all this so he can finish the job, I guess. What are you thinking?
    From day one of her leave, she said she was off for 3 weeks. That is likely a standard absence prescribed by her physician for this sort of mental health event.

In order to be absent from her job for longer periods, she needs her physician to sign off on that. Plus, remember she is off all next week.

Seems like a decent plan for easing back into work, this week being part time and next week being off completely.

But
    I do not like the idea of her supervisor starting off with a performance review if that is indeed what is taking place today. this meeting ZG is having with her “sup” could also be a meeting about “here’s where we are now, here is where we are going with your job in the next X days/weeks.” Some version of that would be appropriate in this back-to-work situation, we just do not have access to the full set of facts here.

Thread Information