Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how would you handle this, low pay inquiry

Part of this is that i didnt apply for the job or any assistant positions. It is something that i exceed the qualifications for by quite a lot. However my job coach suggests going for everything to keep doors open. I could talk to him and then ask about the pay range after the interview, if it is not something that works for me then maybe i will still make a good impression for other jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Part of this is that i didnt apply for the job or any assistant positions. It is something that i exceed the qualifications for by quite a lot. However my job coach suggests going for everything to keep doors open. I could talk to him and then ask about the pay range after the interview, if it is not something that works for me then maybe i will still make a good impression for other jobs
    Don't take an interview for a position your not interested in. It is a waste of both of your times. Might be better to contact them with the types of positions you are looking for and your qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Don't take an interview for a position your not interested in. It is a waste of both of your times. Might be better to contact them with the types of positions you are looking for and your qualifications.
    This is why I suggested telling them thank you for the consideration, but you are looking for a "professional" position. That implies both your skill and experience level, and desired salary range/desired compensation. It helps you keep your foot in the door, without actually interviewing for that particular position.

A good HR person will spot someone who is applying for "everything" - this may be their way of helping you narrow your focus. There may have already been networking for you behind the scenes, could be this recruiter has a friend/colleague in another of the districts you've applied to and suggested that they contact you. It's not all that uncommon for people to help each other that way. (apparently my resume is still floating around, I've had four "offers to apply" this summer- I retired over a year ago.)
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 7-11-18 at 9:45am. Reason: spelling!

I'm not sure I understand what happened here. ZG, it sounds like you did not apply for this job but they called you asking specifically about a job for which you're overqualified? Under those circumstances, I agree with mschrisgo2 that it's a waste of your time and theirs to interview. I'd call and ask if they are requesting an informational interview for other positions which might be available; if they are, then go. Who knows what could turn up? But if they're not, I'd pass. Your time is better spent pursuing appropriate openings, even elsewhere.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My wife is a very good teachers aid. She gets low pay, and since she is so capable, she gets paired with the less capable teachers who more often than not, don't appreciate what she brings to the table. Don't do it.

I got another job in my field with similar pay and great benefits. I didn't reply to the email, it wasn't in the district I got a job in anyway.

Thread Information