Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how would you handle this, low pay inquiry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how would you handle this, low pay inquiry

HI all, so I put my application in for another school district and immediately have had interest and interviews for positions similar to mine. I am not totally sure of what the pay rate will be in the end.

I just got an email from another school in this district for a teacher assistant job, something you need very little education. The thing is that is listed the starting rate at $11 an hour, under half of what I make now. I want to be sure to respond to everyone who contacts me in a professional way, and I don't know what to say. I think something like 'I would love this type of work and am looking to work in X district, however the starting hourly rate does not work with my budget. If you have a higher rate in mind I would love to talk further'.

Too blunt? Too nice? I have no idea of my tone these days since my breakdown,

Have you resolved in your own mind what hourly rate of pay is a "must have"? Maybe your budget would suggest a minimum and an ideal amount. For discussion, let's say your budget would be viable with $18 to $24 hourly rate and a minimum 38 hours per week.

I have not been in the paid workforce for a long time, but FWIW my style would be to welcome discussion of possible job opportunities and to interview for jobs in the preferred field, without beginning the bargaining about the pay rate. But if there is an offer of employment or a second interview that seems to indicate an employer has a strong interest in hiring you, then I believe that would be the time to factually lay out what you require in the way of hours and pay rate. The facts are friendly... never too blunt.

Money aside- would you really be happy with a teacher's assistant job when you have all the qualifications of a teacher? I understand the horribleness of your situation and your urgency to get out of there, but how will taking a job where you can't even afford the basics of life make your life any better? Just changing one bucket of stresses for a different one imo.

Low pay and no authority with the teacher as your boss. If you didn’t apply for the job I would nicely reply that you are looking for a teacher position.

The pay rate is commensurate to the job description. Just because you exceed the minimum requirements does not mean you should be paid a higher rate. That is not an appropriate expectation.

That said, you could: 1. Ask what the wage scale range is for the role. 2. Negotiate a higher rate with that wage scale. But you certainly cannot expect it to double. If I were to return to a beside care role I should expect to take a 35% pay cut. Because I have 31y experience with the minimum job qualification. But I would get no additional compensation for 25y of Nursing Leadership roles.

The teacher assistant job is likely to be a paraprofessional, i.e. 1-1 for a student with severe medical needs, or a student with autism. Typically, a high school diploma and TB clearance are al that's required, and yes, they are minimum wage jobs. Is that what you want?

It is mid July, they have less than a month to fill positions and are scrambling. Hold out for a pay scale that you can reasonably live on.

Politely let them know you are looking for a "professional" position.

Wage discussion should never have anything to do with your personal finances. It is about your experience, credentials and what you bring to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Wage discussion should never have anything to do with your personal finances. It is about your experience, credentials and what you bring to the job.
    +1

If you did not apply for this specific job, I would reply, stating that (due to your skills and experience) you do not feel the position is a good fit for you. If they're interested in you for another position, you'll hear from them again and if you get all the way to an offer you will have an opportunity to negotiate salary if you wish (based on what you know it costs to live your life and what the job pays people with your skills and experiences).

This position appears to be a move backward for you. Some of the best advice I ever received in life is to not run away from things but to run toward things. Aim for the position you want, not whatever appears.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    Wife is a teachers aid in local school district. She has a dual degree in special ed and elementary ed but enjoys the freedom of knowing that she is not responsible for the classroomand her pay is commensurate with that lack of responsibility but it is certainly not a minimum wage position. She is represented by and a member of the teachers union. It can be a rewarding job.

Thread Information