Thread: How long for dog to recover from spay surgery?

How long for dog to recover from spay surgery?

How long does it take for a dog to recover from spay surgery so she would be well enough to travel and hop into the car--she has a kennel in back of SUV so she has to be able to hop up into there. Trying to figure out timing this surgery with taking her with us to see my parents. She is 60 pounds.

You should check with your vet with the specifics. But with my cocker spaniels, they would say 2 weeks post surgery for that kind of jumping, though the cockers are small enough to pick up so they don't have to jump into or out of the car.

I agree with checking at the vets.

If she is young, the opposite may be an issue - how to keep her from jumping!

You may wish to ask for a sedative if too much activity is likely, actually.

I was trying to remember how long it took them to "get back to normal" where jumping and running were not issues, so I could figure out how to time the trip, when to go, and when to schedule the surgery.

Maybe we should do it and then take her on the trip on pain meds since she is pretty cooped up on the trip, more than at home, as she can't run free there.

There are folding pet steps you can buy to make it easier for her to get into the SUV.
    A lot of cats seem to be able to come right home from their spaying and jump as usual. I know mine did; I cringed at the very thought.

Thread Information