Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting A Decluttering Goal in Units of Time Using Flylady's Timer Method - July 2018

Teacher Terry, great work on the shed! And... how big IS it? Just reading about it, it seems like a bottomless pit, must feel that way to you too...

I don’t really know but at this point it is 1/4 full so after he goes through 1 car garage and throws away everything can easily fit in the shed. So excited!

Yppej, I TOTALLY get how good it can feel to get rid of one gross glasses case and replace it with a pristine one. Good going.

And Teacher Terry, congratulations on all the new SPACE. That sounds fantastic.

Today I met with a landscape designer, who is going to help me redesign my front and back yards and put in native plants that won't require much upkeep. I've been in my home 7 years and have done NOTHING with the yard, and it's looking pretty bad, so I'm pretty excited about taking the first step to making it nice.

I also eked out one hour of decluttering. I have totally overbought art supplies for my daughter over the last five years - partly due to school projects and partly due to me being me. Anyway, the overflow had ended up in several boxes in my bedroom. In my hour, I put some of them in a bag to donate to church, some in a box that will eventually be a plastic tub I can leave out in the back yard (paints and brushes and other messy activities which she usually does outside), and some in an "art cart" I bought for her that has yet to be organized. More to do, obviously, but at least they are on their way out of my bedroom.

New total: 15.

Great idea to hire a professional to help you get your yard in shape. When we bought our house the yard was just dirt. It took about 3 summers to get it done. That was due to financial constraints and my husband getting motivated.

Yppej
    I filled another kitchen trash bag that was starting to smell in the summer heat with two items of clothing, two mugs, three DVDs, and brochures and other papers from when I was unemployed over a year ago that I do not think I will need. (Just like at the previous job lazy coworkers are trying to dump their work on me - last week one told her friend the receptionist to send all the calls from her angry vendors to me - but where I am now the boss sides with me.)

Woke up to two bags of trash from DS cleaning his room by the door. He works overnight when it's cooler but doesn't take them out at night since moths and mosquitoes would rush in the open door.

Y, that’s good progress.
    I can’t imagine trying to dump all the work on some one else. Takes a lot of nerve.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Y, that’s good progress.
    I can’t imagine trying to dump all the work on some one else. Takes a lot of nerve.
    She's a patronage hire.

Congrats, Yppej, on your progress.

I did another hour yesterday. About 15 minutes of that time was looking on the Container Store website for the right storage boxes for different categories of things I need to find places for, but I'm counting it because I realize one of the reasons my house is full of unorganized clutter is because this house has no built-in storage, and I have never really dealt with that problem. Over my last 2-3 decluttering streaks, I have bought some cabinets and other furniture to store things in, and that has helped me find "a place for everything," but I still have a number of storage problems to solve. I know getting rid of stuff should be my first priority, but it's also hard to "see" the stuff I can get rid of when the stuff that I need to keep but doesn't have a real home is lying around.

New total: 16.

Everyone is doing great! It is amazing the amount of stuff we all collect over the years. The shed is probably the size of a small house trailer. It came with the house. When my kids were at home I was a social worker working with kids in foster care. Foster kids are hard on toys so I gave them all the kids toys as they outgrew them. I took their clothes to the schools that had a free lunch summer program and the kids could pick out the clothes they wanted.

Good work to all who are plugging along.
    TT - that is great progress on the shed!
    EJ - I think organizing and decluttering go hand in hand. It totally makes sense to devise organizational systems and acquire storage to handle the things you are keeping. After all, the goal is not to get rid of everything! That is very exciting about your upcoming landscape work.

Thread Information