Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A job interview for The Ultralight...

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I just came back from a business dinner where my client (woman probably mid-late 40s) talked about how hiring is "slim pickings" because candidates just want to know what the job responsibilities are--what they are expected to do.
    it is the single most important thing to get out of an initial contact: what actually doing the job will involve (nope you can't usually get this entirely from just the job ad). What could be more important when taking a job than knowing what one will be doing daily? Yes I've gone in blind before, having no idea what the job would even entail, it worked out tolerably, but I can't say I recommend it as strategy - unemployment has driven me to strange things before .

And one doesn't always get this information if they aren't making sure to ask it. It's easy of course to forget any number of things, you are in full performance mode in an interview and that is incredibly mentally taxing.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I guess I should hear something today...
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    it is the single most important thing to get out of an initial contact: what actually doing the job will involve (nope you can't usually get this entirely from just the job ad). What could be more important when taking a job than knowing what one will be doing daily? Yes I've gone in blind before, having no idea what the job would even entail, it worked out tolerably, but I can't say I recommend it as strategy - unemployment has driven me to strange things before .

And one doesn't always get this information if they aren't making sure to ask it. It's easy of course to forget any number of things, you are in full performance mode in an interview and that is incredibly mentally taxing.
    It's not that they were asking what they had to do, they didn't ask anything else. When my kids were going on interviews, and when we did as well, DH and I would research the company thoroughly so that we could play back the information and ask questions that would suggest we were a) prepared and b) interested and c) engaged. If you drop something like, "Yeah, and I saw that ACME's sales tripled last year!" that would win points in any interviewer's book.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

In my field getting along with people is essential. That means the kids, families and team. I can teach lesson plans and even group management skills but not attitude and personality.

Good luck, I hope you hear soon!