Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July Frugals

I've been gardening and one of my large plant pots dries out quickly. I decided to get a tray to put under it to hold some water & help the situation. I was going to go to the store to buy one but I took a walk on recycling day. Lo and behold I found the answer to the situation. In someone's curbside recycling there was a large, clear, round, plastic tray which I believe had been the cover over someone's birthday cake. Perfect! I took it home, washed it up and put it under my plant. There's my frugal for today.

I always look around my house first because often I already have something that will work.

Yppej
    Thank goodness for my old bladder. I went home instead of camiso!e shopping because I had to hit the bathroom. So instead I grabbed all my bras and stretched them as hard as I could (they are a stretchy material). Spending averted at least for now.

My windows needed cleaning on my single floor with full basement house. I talked to someone about coming to clean them as they are a little awkward and partially out of my reach for drying - $150!!. But I don't like using a ladder on uneven ground and reaching up and to the side to get the corners.

I studied the situation; used 6 of a pack of 25 car cleaning microfibre cloths for $10; put some hot water with a drop of dish detergent in a bucket, used my extended sponge and squeegee window cleaner to clean them, reached as far as I could with the cloths to polish dry and, then - had the idea to use a new fleece I had bought on sale in my swivel mop to reach the highest parts. It worked out so well. I placed the fleece on the mop close to one edge to enable good contact with the window. That is what I am going to do from now on. No risky ladders, no paper towels so saved money too. I can wash everything and reuse over and over again.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    I do not think the lock in price for home heating oil I got today is a good one and I am going to gamble on the per day price this coming season.

I am trying to stay on budget for July. This evening I filled up the gas tank and have $8.78 left to spend and enough food to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Thank goodness for my old bladder. I went home instead of camiso!e shopping because I had to hit the bathroom. So instead I grabbed all my bras and stretched them as hard as I could (they are a stretchy material). Spending averted at least for now.
    If you're in the neighborhood of 40D or DD, I will ship you a bunch of back hook bras if you PM me. I need racerback/front hooks and finally found some this past winter.

Yppej
    Thank you Gardnr but not my size or close. I did cut a slit in the bottom of one bra today and will see how that works. I have maintained my weight loss but the effects of gravity continue to accumulate. Some days I wish I could move someplace like New Guinea.

This is hilarious!

Thank you Gardnr but not my size or close. I did cut a slit in the bottom of one bra today and will see how that works. I have maintained my weight loss but the effects of gravity continue to accumulate. Some days I wish I could move someplace like New Guinea.
    Me too. I'm braless unless leaving our property.

Collected my second batch of green beans from my garden for freezing. Tried some different pole beans that are flat and long plus some Blue Lake bush beans. I blanch and add cooked chick peas, green onions, fresh chopped peppers and drizzle with greek salad dressing. I got an amazing bargain on feta cheese last winter and froze it in suitable chunks adding it to this and other salads.

I love fresh flowers on my dining table year-round. Lately, I have been rotating my blooming violets.

Surprise discovery. My petunias on an outside pot were getting quite leggy so I cut them back. I looked at the gorgeous blooms of the cuttings petunias, red, white and purple and simply couldn't toss them away as I have other years. I decided to put them in fresh water expecting that they would fade away in 24 hours. I was amazed to discover that each bloom would last about a day but the little flower buds grew and bloomed perfectly. I keep changing the water and they keep unfolding. Today is the sixth day of bloom. I took a picture to share. I am going to do this from now on. Love surprises like this.

IMG_0151.jpg
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information