Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite flower/shrub?

Never planted them until this year and they are lovely and such a variety of colours as a border plant.
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The past few years have been planting Nicotiana .... flowering tobacco. It requires little care, is pretty and blooms profusely!
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I like salvia, i usually have had purple and sometimes a red. When i rented each year i put in 2 more in the parts of the yard that were hard to water. Super great in dry climate, needs little care, and pops back in the spring. I would trim off the dead parts a couple times over the summer so they would perk up. They were a big part of my drought resistant yard plan

I love purple, i hear there are a huge number of varieties but not always available locally.

I love lavender. Trying yet again. I just can't seem to over winter it.

I just can't seem to over winter it.
    I'm in Zone 5 (or at least used to be before usda update) and I shouldn't be able to overwinter lavender. I have about a dozen plants against the south side foundation, and have "mulched" with stone. The stone holds just enough heat to keep the lavender just a tiny bit warmer and it survives. It also cuts down on fungal diseases since the soil isn't splashing up onto the leaves of the plant. I've made a little micro climate and have had these lavenders > 10 years.

Zone 6 here, lavender Hidcote and Munstead do overwinter. Provence...can't get it to do a thing, all in the same area. I love them and the hummingbirds light on them..not sure it they can get any nectar, but they hit at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I like salvia, i usually have had purple and sometimes a red. When i rented each year i put in 2 more in the parts of the yard that were hard to water. Super great in dry climate, needs little care, and pops back in the spring. I would trim off the dead parts a couple times over the summer so they would perk up. They were a big part of my drought resistant yard plan

I love purple, i hear there are a huge number of varieties but not always available locally.
    Love it too, really brings in the hummers.

Annuals: lantana
    Otherwise to be honest if it's anything other than thorny, ivy, vinca. I love it. Oh cactus are an exception to thorny, like them too.