Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite flower/shrub?

Favorite flower/shrub?

iris lilies is not allowed to answer . JK. Of course, IL tell us WHY you love irises and lilies

But for the rest of you guys, do you have ONE flower that just pulls at your heartstrings?

Today, on my way to pick up my grand-dog for the weekend, I went to my favorite nursery up here--it is truly an amazing place--and they had a nice selection of balloon flowers and it reminded me of my balloon flowers in NJ and how much I miss them. Then I remembered that I probably have a lovely corner that I can plant some in!

Also, this year coleus has been a high on my list. It's in all my planters and in the house. I love the contrast of the lime green and Burgundy.

So there are my two: coleus and balloon flower.

How about you?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Phlox.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Phlox.
    Why, Yppej?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Variety of colors, perennial, expands to fill in empty areas, likes the acidic soil in my area.

Lavender. Its such a useful and pretty plant. Good for the body, good for the senses, good for the soul. Essential oil is good for /everything/ (bug bites, burns, stress...).

I also like zinnias because they are cheerful and last a very long time, both in my garden and in a vase. But my handle here is herbgeek, not flowergeek.

Scotch broom, specifically red-splotched Scotch broom.

I spent much of my childhood nestled in bowers of the stuff; I love its smell when the sun warms it, but really-everything about it. It's a hardy and tenacious plant. It was adopted as the symbol of the Plantagenets, whom I may or may not have descended from.

Red geraniums. I don't really know why....just always have. Every May I line our driveway down both sides. Our back patio has 6 large pots with 6 in each. I'm a good customer of the Fred Meyer sale early May.

Runners up:

Peonies: Mom loved them and I miss her. I have a beautiful peony in the front garden in memory. It was awesome this year!

Roses: i have 5 bushes up front along the sidewalk. All fragrant with Peace being my favorite next to Angel Face. i planted these as a memorial to Mom the spring after she died. My childhood home had a front yard at least 1 acre. Mom had a rose garden the entire perimeter. I've never known life without roses in the yard.

I love daffodils...the bright yellow trumpets call to me. I remember carrying one every day when they were blooming- I stuck it in my 3 ring binder- even used one of those plastic stem holders to keep it wet. When we bought our house (42 years ago) we had $100 left in the bank account and I bought $20 worth of daffodils and hyacinths.

Bougainvillea - bright and lively even in 115 degree heat

Williamsmith
    Shortia Galacifolia

Oconee Bell

My brother in law lives in the Appalachian Mountains on the border of North and South Carolina where can be found a rare North American flower that makes its home along creekbeds and near natural waterfalls. It has a creamy white flowerette and an evergreen leaf and is the first to bloom at winters end. It has a minuscule diameter blossom and is so unimpressive that it might easily be passed by on a walk without ever knowing it. It is considered an imperiled or at risk species. It’s beauty is not in its glorious display but rather as an example of the value of simplicity and plain elegance.

Thread Information