Thread: We got the wrong tree

Geila

We got the wrong tree

A few months ago we bought and planted a 15-gallon Robinia "Purple Robe" because it's a pretty tree that grows in the worst conditions and we have a challenging area where we would like a shade tree. The mall by our house has lots of them planted in their parking lot and they are doing really well under those harsh conditions. This is the Robinia:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/purple-...ees-67350.html

A few days ago the tree started blooming and we realized we didn't get a Robinia at all, but a Gold Medallion tree. The leaves look identical, so it's clearly just human error. The tree was labeled incorrectly. But this tree, while beautiful, doesn't get as tall (it will be about half the height as the Robinia at maturity so it will provide much less shade) and is somewhat frost sensitive and not nearly as drought tolerant as the Robinia (we're in CA). The Gold Medallion also has poisonous seed pods that can be a litter problem (they're 12" long) and the tree is planted along the driveway. This is the Gold Medallion:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/golden-...are-26608.html

My first thought was to take photos of it, along with my receipt, to the nursery and have them replace it. But Dh thinks we should just keep it and forget about it. And he's the one who will have to dig it up and plant the new one. I tend to make mountains out of molehills, so I don't know if I should push this issue or just let it go.

If you wanted one thing and got another I would definitely talk to the nursery management. You're going to remember this every time you look at the tree. If your husband doesn't want to dig it up, I guess I'd hire it out.

If it was a perennial plant, I would probably let it go, but not a tree.

Maybe you’ll get the tree you wanted for free, and then you could decide to plant it somewhere else and keep this other one until it bothers you enough to get rid of it

I'd notify the nursery--and get a voucher for a new tree, maybe--but unless you're going to move the Gold Medallion, I would just leave it, rather than kill it. That's how we tree-huggers roll...

Fertilize it to a fare-thee-well and maybe it will surprise you by growing tall.

In my book planting trees and then getting them established in a new soil is no small effort. I’d take a photo and maybe even a small branch to the nursery and see if they will replace the tree at their expense and labor. It’s at least worth a try. The gold medallion tree is very pretty, but the pods could be a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    In my book planting trees and then getting them established in a new soil is no small effort. I’d take a photo and maybe even a small branch to the nursery and see if they will replace the tree at their expense and labor. It’s at least worth a try. The gold medallion tree is very pretty, but the pods could be a deal breaker for me.
    +1 They need to be responsible for their error. You selected a specific tree for a specific purpose and they did not deliver.

Maybe they can dig it up carefully and sell it as an established tree. And give you the one you originally paid for. I'd be fine with that.

Oh, gosh, what a shame. The tree you got is gorgeous, but it's not going to do its intended job. They should definitely acknowledge the error and compensate you for it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It would be a deal breaker for me as well. Wrong tree for a number of reasons. Talk to the nursery first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information