Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does spending ever cause you guilt?

I don’t ever feel guilty. I prefer a watch to looking at my phone and sometimes I forget my phone.

Rob, for what it's worth, I feel guilty when I spend money but I think for me it is early conditioning by a very frugal mother.
    exactly conditioning from parents and grandparents, but in the end I think they had good values in some things, in the end I don't mind inheriting many of their values. I just temper their values with my own questioning and rebellious streak so that the very harsh edges are a little less so.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    IL, your artistic endeavours give you and others joy and positive pride in the power of creativity. I will fight with great vigour any attempt to make life an experience of self-flagellation or desperate poverty or denial of art of multiple forms. Yes, it costs money. Hoarding a work of art for purely personal enjoyment is questionable but sharing is a gift.
    ok, that s a good way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    All that said, I find myself guilty for having bought it as it's something I don't absolutely need and there are so many people both in the 85006 and all around the US who can't afford such a watch - America deems their lives not worth such a watch for whatever reason.
    This is a handmade FP Journe watch, with a very special and significant movement. It cost me ~$90,000. It represents months of labor for the man who made it. I do not feel guilty owning it at all.

It is but one small part of my effort to support a dying art:

Al Gore spends more in jet fuel each year than my whole collection, probably.

My wife bought me a nice watch years ago. It’s in a box somewhere, I haven’t worn a watch in years. between my phone, cars, and clocks on walls I generally can tell what time it is. And knowing what time it is generally is not a big deal to me anyway.

So yes, spending money on a watch is just crazy. You could help someone from the 85006 buy a bag to prepare to flee. What are you thinking?

Nice watch bae.

I love my watch which my husband bought me when we first got married. That said, for 26 years my job required me to log the time of every task I performed and every call I took, even a bathroom breaks. Believe me when I say that I have an excellent sense of time and can pretty much guess what time it is (within a couple of minutes) without a watch.

I got sick of cheap watches that didn’t last long. Spent $125 on a dive watch. Pretty aqua and silver, too! I can wear it in the pool or around water without worrying about it. Thing is tough. I’ve accidentally worn it diving!

I subscribe to the saying - buy once, cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    A $69 watch is not a Rolex.
    What's wrong, exactly, with a Rolex? They make plenty of stainless steel, utilitarian tool watches.

My daily-wearing watch is a Rolex Milgauss, a special model made to resist very high levels of magnetism, as might be found in a high energy physics lab and a few other specialized places. I've worn it for decades now, it's been keeping time just fine, and it has survived in places that would have absolutely destroyed a "normal" watch. It also looks sort of boring and bland. I think they still make the model, and it sells for probably $7k or so.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    And yes, I do find this very odd that the wealthy have to be this way at the expense of those who toil so that they (the wealthy) may hoard yet more wealth.
    Seems to me that anyone following the YMOYL plan is by definition hoarding wealth. Does their hoard cause you grief somehow?

Returning your $69 watch for moral and ethical reasons - some random questions:

- how much will it cost to travel back to the store to return it? Or how much shipping will be involved?
    - how much value/carbon cost to the environment/... will be lost/incurred because of the merchant needing to repackage, or simply throw out, the returned item?
    - what about the wages of the workers who built that watch, transported it, sold it?

How much wasted time and capital and income will be involved in your virtue-signaling?

Thread Information