Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Does spending ever cause you guilt?

I see little point in watch-shaming or watch-bragging. Tempus fugit, no matter what.

The important thing is that we make Alan buy everyone a watch so they know America loves them and wants them to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see little point in watch-shaming or watch-bragging. Tempus fugit, no matter what.

The important thing is that we make Alan buy everyone a watch so they know America loves them and wants them to be happy.
    I don’t know that I can watch-brag. All the best ateliers send me samples every year for my advice.m I’m just a cog in the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What's wrong, exactly, with a Rolex? They make plenty of stainless steel, utilitarian tool watches.
    Nothing wrong with a Rolex. They're beautiful watches, no doubt. But if Rob is feeling guilt, $69 seems like a grain of sand compared with $50k. And I'm not saying he should feel guilty about spending 50k for a watch either, if that's what he wants to do, although I would be very surprised if he bought a Rolex. But if you're going to feel guilty about "extravagant" purchases, don't waste your angst on $69. That's all I'm saying. Buying a Rolex will challenge and/or contradict some people's value systems, and not others. To each his own.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My wife one said to me “Rolex only has a market because men can’t wear tiaras”.

Williamsmith
    Spending only causes me guilt when there is more debt associated with the purchase than assets to pay it off immediately. Right now I value the amount of savings I have that is immediately accessible over paying off the mortgage or the car. They can repo the car, I have another that is paid for. The mortgage will be paid off when the wife retires. Everything else is purchased with cash in hand. I’ve wanted to purchase a certain guitar for a long time but the fact that I don’t need it negates my purchase. If I bought it, I’d feel guilty based on the relative good I could do with that amount of money put toward another cause. I can justify smaller purchases of things that give me pleasure but are an investment that I can expect to keep their value or increase in value.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My wife one said to me “Rolex only has a market because men can’t wear tiaras”.

Someone has a watch addiction)

I've spent considerable time over the past few years trying to determine between "needs" and "wants."

Sometimes after a purchase, I will ask myself if it was a true need or a want.

I am not saying you should not have bought it, I am just saying this has become my thought process.

I don't feel guilty at all about buying things that I can afford and that I will make good use of.

DH and I recently sunk a pretty large chunk of cash into new touring bikes from REI. We will ride them for 10-20 years, hundreds or even thousands of miles per year, so the cost-per-mile is pretty reasonable. Due to limited stock, we had to go to three different REI stores to get them (the one we went to first did not have our size in stock, had to travel out to two suburban stores to pick them up). Between the different stores we interacted with 7 different staff people (two bike section staff at first store, one cashier; one bike section staff at second store, two bike section staff and one cashier at third store). All gave us excellent customer service and the bike section staff taught us lots of useful stuff about the bikes. At least a small portion of what we paid for the bikes is going to support people working in jobs they enjoy. REI also gives a significant part of its profits back to its users (10% member dividend annually on non-sale items) and to environmental causes.

Buying stuff that we value and will make use of help keeps the economy rolling.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

There were times that it cause me guilt that I purchased expensive furniture or things that I found out not worthy enough or did not last for a long time.

Thread Information