Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you pick up litter?

Sometimes I do, but it takes away from the mindful appreciation of my walk, so I don't do it most of the time. When I pick up litter, it's like I am donating my walk as a public service. Since walking is one of my most favorite things in life, I am just not that selfless.

If I volunteer for a "clean up" as I have for my local watershed organization. But just meandering around, no. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the litter in my own house/yard. (Although I do sometimes pick up paper and other things that have blown across the neighbors' yards into the park that adjoins my property, if it's near my property line).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, when I am able. I usually find the plastic bags to put the garbage in so it works out.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Mostly yes. I won't stop my bike for most things while on a ride. Around the open spaces and trails near town the most common thing I see is dog poo in plastic bags. Why people bag up their pet waste and then leave both the waste plus the plastic is beyond me, other than a belief in the poop fairy. I won't pick those up.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Sometimes I do, but it takes away from the mindful appreciation of my walk, so I don't do it most of the time. When I pick up litter, it's like I am donating my walk as a public service. Since walking is one of my most favorite things in life, I am just not that selfless.
    I perfectly inderstand that, and sometimes I just want to be in the Zen of the walk. That means no trash pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Yes, when I am able. I usually find the plastic bags to put the garbage in so it works out.
    I know, one good thing about my garbage tossing ghetto neighbors is that they toss plastic bags with abandon, so I usually have a container in which to place their crap.

Liquour bottles, hair pieces (called “tumbleweaves” around here) fast food
    and candy/snacks debris are the most common things. This time of year, fireworks are laying around. Sometimes dirty diapers are tossed out of car windows onto my flower beds.

I am officially tired of thiscrappy neighborhood where my big gardens are, and I am glad I am moving them to Hermann. But the f........ing deer are nasty there, so I cant win.

IL, are you moving to Herman permanently or still going to go back and forth between the houses? I wouldn’t want to live somewhere in which people are throwing garbage in my yard, etc. That is terrible. We live in town close to downtown but thankfully ours is a desirable area and most people keep their homes up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, are you moving to Herman permanently or still going to go back and forth between the houses? I wouldn’t want to live somewhere in which people are throwing garbage in my yard, etc. That is terrible. We live in town close to downtown but thankfully ours is a desirable area and most people keep their homes up well.
    Where I live in St. Louis, a “nice”neighborhood, there is not a litter problem by my house.

My big gardens are in an adjacent neighborhood by a strip of fast food joints and with residents of littering mindset.the litter, plus the guns and drug culture surrounding us are making me very tired of those citizens and their actions.

in the public housing comlex just two blocks from where I live, the feds raided and rounded up a big drug selling ring this week.

I do not understand how so many miscreants can live in these publicly finded places be ause we are told, over and over, that bad behavior gets them kicked out. That new HUD rules are meant to keep hosuing complexes stable, filled with honest citizens. That the Government is here to help us, essentially.

Yeah, right.

I usually do, but there is not a lot of litter here.

I totally forgot that your gardens weren’t by your house.

Thread Information