Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Last call from my family in Vienna......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My half sister that is English and lives in Australia loves trump. When she found me on Facebook a few months ago I warned her that our politics were opposite but that my husband is republican as are a few of my friends and we don’t talk politics. We were having a great time emailing everyday but she got so worked up because of Facebook that she no longer wants anything to do with me.
    TT I'm sorry this person ditched you due to politics. What I've found is that it's best to be neutral to Conservatives in person and not to discuss politics with them period. Such seems pointless at this point - better to have contingency plans to run, vote Dem during any election, and protest, protest, protest. Or so I see it. Luckily the way my life is set up I'm not going to often run across Conservatives - but I will also say that there is a much more upscale neighborhood not far from me by bus and if I ever wanted to be surrounded by Conservatives, it would not be hard to enter their turf via public bus. LOL....I'll stay in the 85006 Thank You very much, and all will be happier for this decision on my part I rather suspect. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Cold-blooded. Practical. Yup.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article...uleId=10005447

I feel so terribly bad about the poor Austrians who had to suffer hardship after WWII. My grandfather said it looked like a nice country, when he visited it in April, 1945.
    That was then, Bae, and this is now. I never have denied that Austria indeed has a dark and unsavory past.....matter of fact, I am related to people in the Gnigl neighborhood in Salzburg that I will not speak to this day as they believe the Holocaust was right. Nope, no can have truckings with such people, even if they do hold better citizenship.

But the vast majority of Austrians are not like this, thankfully, and it is a very prosperous country with a higher standard of living than the US - especially for lower-skilled folks, and this is before you factor in the to die for social welfare available to all that America brutally and cruelly has brainwashed many of it's citizens to be against so that the wealthy can pay lower taxes and everyone else can suffer/live in fear and uncertainty for them. Austrians today would not tolerate a system such as that we under in the US - it's too barbaric for them, which I believe says a lot about the decency you will overall encounter in Austria today - though not during the War years, I'll give you that much. Rob

Rob, I was really hurt that politics would be more important than relationships. It is also weird that someone who doesn’t live here cares so much about our politics. Poland also has a unstable president right now that is trying to take away their freedoms. The mayor of Warsaw is openly defying him.

Steve Bannon is in Europe actively fanning Fascist passions among the susceptible. I can't believe memories are so short.

But the vast majority of Austrians are not like this, thankfully, and it is a very prosperous country with a higher standard of living than the US - especially for lower-skilled folks, and this is before you factor in the to die for social welfare ... Austrians today would not tolerate a system such as that we under in the US - it's too barbaric for them, which I believe says a lot about the decency you will overall encounter in Austria today
    they won't tolerate it eh? Well I guess they protest and good, but still they tolerate anyway. The protesting is to their credit but nonetheless the law passed.

https://www.dw.com/en/austria-thousa...day/a-44475182
    http://awsm.nz/2018/07/14/austria-12...he-parliament/

so 12 hour workdays, how is that NOT a barbaric policy? I know that wage theft is rampant in the U.S. etc. but this is not a discussion about the U.S. but about how Austrians would never allow any barbaric polices and so on .... Really? Or are many Austrians too busy worrying about Trump to care about issues that directly affect them? Do your relatives in Vienna discuss the huge protests in their backyard (the issue seems important and Austria part of a bad trend here as now Germany is considering the same ..) or is it only "blah blah Trump, Trumpity Trump blah, blah blah Trump" (it's bad enough the guy occupies 90% of U.S. political brain cells).

I mean Trump is kind of everyone's problem it is true, but local issues should kinda matter too.
    Trees don't grow on money

Rob, I think it is better to make a plan for the future than to worry about it and complain and fret. Are your finances such that you could rent a place in Mexico for a year, try it out? Can you get a job there, or your husband, so that you guys would have income? I'd be nervous about moving there until I had rented and tried it all out.

Then, if life seemed better and more hopeful, I'd split to where it felt better and more hopeful. I honestly don't understand why the relatives in Austria's opinion counts so much, as they are not on the scene, unless you have decided to emigrate to Austria. Would that be a good alternative for you? Since you do have family there, and you like it already and feel a lot of loyalty to it?

It's not a good idea to live somewhere that you dislike so strongly. We're grappling with some of the same questions, although we like where we live, but want to move closer to family. I'm sick of looking and thinking about it, maybe we just need to do it.

Same sex marriage will be legal in Austria starting next year. So there’s that....

Rob:

You know, I agree. There are better countries than that USA if you want to live a more relaxed, less stressed, good life. Look to our northern border.

But there are also countries with horrible problems that make the USA look like a beautiful destination of freedom and plenty. Look to our southern border.

Do you ever think that maybe your modes of thought about the USA are irrational?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Same sex marriage will be legal in Austria starting next year. So there’s that....
    Wait, whot?
    Human dignity is not supported in Austria right now at this time?

Rob, what is that about, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My half sister that is English and lives in Australia loves trump. When she found me on Facebook a few months ago I warned her that our politics were opposite but that my husband is republican as are a few of my friends and we don’t talk politics. We were having a great time emailing everyday but she got so worked up because of Facebook that she no longer wants anything to do with me.
    I was shocked to read this! So sorry, that once you found her, such a stupid Trump should come between you. He aint worth it, the acrimony and drama.

Thread Information