Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last call from my family in Vienna......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Last call from my family in Vienna......

Beyond Mr. Trump's performance in Helsinki (I'm so jealous of those folks with their better passports!!!) Mr. Trump was created quite a stir in the EU with his recent comment that the EU is a foe of the US. This comment was basically buried by the Orange Thug's performance in Helsinki but it was apparently not lost on citizens of the EU countries.

My relatives in Vienna are now even more worried for my safety and for the future of this country. Their logic is that Trump's words are going to cause consequences now and the EU will retaliate and things will escalate from there. My Cousin Astrid spent hours making an evacuation plan for me featuring flying out of North America through the airport in Mexico City - she doesn't even think I should leave North America through a US airport due to so many people around the world hating the United States now....she questions the safety of any US flight. The whole time I was on the phone with her I was thinking of several conservative posters here and a few scattered Trump supporters I have had the unfortunate luck to run across outside of the 85006.....it would be very illuminating for such people to hear this calm, educated, logical Austrian citizen cold bloodedly giving an accurate assessment of the United States and the unacceptable level of risk being a US citizen places you at. I don't believe many such people could handle such obvious reality, which I see as one of the chief problems the US faces - the need of so many of it's citizens to look the other way and live in denial. No country is worth this.....not even Austria. I'm so glad I know this and am guided by it. But I digress.

I told my Cousin all under this roof have bags packed and have no faith in American whatsoever and that anywhere I go the Austrian flag goes with me. This calmed her down a bit but my family is still worried. I guess this is unavoidable when you live in a sinking country with this caliber of non-leadership but you have family in a better country......they are going to see things as they really are, gloves off, and they are going to worry.

This is not going to end well, folks, is my take and my family not agrees with me but they said it first. I'd pack if you haven't already, and if you never have to run, nothing lost by having this done, right? Remember, those who fled Europe during WW2 lived to tell the tale...……..Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 7-27-18 at 9:12pm.

It is interesting that this kind of thinking runs in your family.

If we truly are that far gone, I’m curious as to what specific event might prompt you to actually execute your exit strategy.

If you had a watch, you would be less likely to miss your flight.

My half sister that is English and lives in Australia loves trump. When she found me on Facebook a few months ago I warned her that our politics were opposite but that my husband is republican as are a few of my friends and we don’t talk politics. We were having a great time emailing everyday but she got so worked up because of Facebook that she no longer wants anything to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is interesting that this kind of thinking runs in your family.
    True that. You will find that Austrians overall are very cold-bloodedly practical people. Perhaps it's having learned something of the world after aligning with Nazi Germany in WW2 and suffering incredible defeat - I grew up hearing the stories of hardship in Austria after WW2.

Getting to the point, though? This kind of thinking is very Austrian - not only does it run in my family, hop a plane to Vienna and encounter it pretty much everywhere you are going to go - provided that a situation arises justifying this kind of thinking, such as the existence of Donald Trump as the (unfortunately) President of the US. Austrians that you are not related to are mostly not going to go into this kind of conversation, especially with a tourist, unless provoked. The diff here is that these are people related to me that see America for what it is and are genuinely concerned for my safety and my well being. It's probably hard for Conservatives to grasp this, but for relatives in countries better than the US such as Austria, the existence of Donald Trump as President does not inspire one iota of confidence for the continued safety and well being of relatives on US soil. Not pleasant, not nice - but very true and very real and there is no spin or smoke and mirrors whatsoever that is going to change this reality for an Austrian (and I'd hazard to guess other nationalities, too - but my personal experience is with Austrians and not citizens of other better countries). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If you had a watch, you would be less likely to miss your flight.
    I did decide to keep that $69 watch from Stauer - it was the post of SteveinMN that helped me make up my mind truth be told. Point here is that I do have a watch so there is no need for concern of my missing any future flight(s). Thanks for your concern, though. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    True that. You will find that Austrians overall are very cold-bloodedly practical people. Perhaps it's having learned something of the world after aligning with Nazi Germany in WW2 and suffering incredible defeat - I grew up hearing the stories of hardship in Austria after WW2.
    Cold-blooded. Practical. Yup.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article...uleId=10005447

I feel so terribly bad about the poor Austrians who had to suffer hardship after WWII. My grandfather said it looked like a nice country, when he visited it in April, 1945.

My DIL ‘s family all live in Poland and Germany and are not worried about America. My daughter is only alive because she had brain surgery 6 months ago for a tennis ball sized tumor. This type of surgery can not be done in Poland. The tumor was wrapped around her brain stem. A boy from Poland has a go fund me page so he can come here to get the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If we truly are that far gone, I’m curious as to what specific event might prompt you to actually execute your exit strategy.
    I don't read the future and I don't claim to online. So I don't know what the specific event would be.....but one thing I will say? Even though I can't know whether or not I'm right at the moment, to be fair. I fear Trump doing something so totally over the top - even for him with his track record thus far - that the stock market collapses and this country overnight tanks. I can totally see that happening and at this point, given Trump's record thus far in office, I don't see how a rational person would not have a bag or two packed and contingency plans to flee. The writing on the wall is brutal but clear and I'm not one to flinch or look away from unpleasant reality - better to actively court such and be guided by it......ironically, this is one positive thing I have learned from being a US citizen from the lower social classes - best to court unpleasant reality as much as you can and be guided by it as much as you can. Different people's levels of ability with this are going to differ, though, and I do understand that.

Let's put it this way....in WW2 Europe, I would have been one of those who lived by virtue of being among the first to flee. I can see such coming to the United States - maybe not a Holocaust per se but some kind of horrible upheaval that is best survived by fleeing. The question is how far off is such from happening and there is no real way of knowing that I can think of. Rob

Thread Information