Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On line therapy

On line therapy

So I was going to look into this. I have done a fair amount of school and training online already so I am familiar. I got a call to see if i wanted to stay on that wait list, so that seems not likely any time soon,

Anynthought

We are talking about face to face therapy via a Skype type mechanism, right?

In general, it seems like a good idea to explore. It woild give you access to a range of therapists and at a range of times of day that may be convenient for you. It seems to me that you would have a better chance of finding someone to work with who would be effective, really good.

Lisa Kidrow does a funny tv show about video therapy where she is the all knowing (but idiotic) therapist. She is funny,
    I often think of her talk of “therapy modalities” which always makes me laugh.

But I do wonder what the professional therapy community thinks about video meetings for therapy. One disadvantage is that the therapist may miss reactions from their patients, miss small facial expressions and signs of pain or fear or etc. and then there is the camera that distorts what we see in real life, that would have an effect but I dont know how.

I think the big reason right now is that it would get me therapy much sooner and more often than what I am doing. I could afford more sessions and schedule them easier. With starting a new job I do not want to take time off to attend appointments but I am seeing that I need to keep going.

What is also beneficial is that I already have done a lot of distance community work, so it is familiar to me. We have monthly meetings with our facilitator group and weekly phone calls that we take turn with. Sometimes we will skype in our Buddhist teacher and it works amazingly well honestly. There is a scandal in our lineage and she skyped in to support our local group in processing this.

After retreat and when I get my new work schedule I will look into it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I think the big reason right now is that it would get me therapy much sooner and more often than what I am doing. I could afford more sessions and schedule them easier. With starting a new job I do not want to take time off to attend appointments but I am seeing that I need to keep going.

What is also beneficial is that I already have done a lot of distance community work, so it is familiar to me. We have monthly meetings with our facilitator group and weekly phone calls that we take turn with. Sometimes we will skype in our Buddhist teacher and it works amazingly well honestly. There is a scandal in our lineage and she skyped in to support our local group in processing this.

After retreat and when I get my new work schedule I will look into it more.
    therapy more often and at a price you can afford, go for it.

It sounds like a winning combination for you Zoe Girl.

I've done some research quite recently on the effectiveness of online therapy - for some common problems, it is similarly-effective to face-to-face therapy, and well worth pursuing.

I am using such a therapist now to help develop some skills to work with a troubled person in my life, and help me avoid getting sucked into their vortex, and it has been going well.

Telemedicine is a newer promising technology throughout psychiatry. Remote areas are using it to expedite medication management appointments.

So I signed up today, and I already feel better to just have the process going. It feels good to talk/write about this without feeling the urge to dump too much on friends and family. I have had some unexpected emotions come up with my new job for example and I am so ready to be done talking about all of this. I would rather focus my relationships on moving forward and positives, but also realizing this was SERIOUS. I can't just say it was one job and move on.

I have exchanged one message so far, I also have a friend who is in a coaching program. She has a colleague who needs to have hours documented working as a personal coach. My friend connected us and I have 6 free coaching sessions along with an orientation. It is good that I have both so I am using each one as they are really supposed to be used. I let the personal coach know what was going on, but also that I was getting a personal counselor so if things went out of her realm I would be okay focusing that topic with the other person.

Lots of support! It feels like care and concern that have been lacking for a long time.

My 2 cents: you need support. Get support wherever, whenever, however you can. If you find that this helper and communication link amount to a disappointment, I bet you can easily drop out without ruffling anybody's feathers.

It sounds super easy to change counselors in this program without a fuss, much easier than calling an office or insurance company.

Yes I am able to admit I could use as much support as I can get

Thread Information