Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought of you, Float On, when I heard this........

Thought of you, Float On, when I heard this........

This morning on the news, I heard that a sudden storm came up over the Branson area and sank a Duck boat, killing a number of people.
    Did you get that storm too? Such a sad thing.

Yes. Our town is heartbroken. I happened to be in town and it was crazy how fast the wind came up.
    I live about 2 miles from where it happened. 17 people ages 1-70. So sad.
    I've been on the lake when a sudden microburst popped up and I thought I wouldn't make it back to shore.
    No one can imagine what they were going through.
    My property had no damage though we were without power till about midnight.
    I'll probably stay off the lake a while.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Heartbreaking .

It just makes me sick thinking about this. I imagine the law will change as to people in duck boats being required to wear a life jacket. But I’m wondering if those window openings are even big enough for people to escape out of? It’s really hard to even think about what the people on there must’ve been going through and to lose so many members of one family is just so tragic.

The openings are big enough except they had the plastic rain guards down which trapped them. The boat also turned as going under. There are life vests but in video it looks like no one reached up or down for them. Met a couple last night that were on a boat ahead of the two in the video. Ducks have been a staple of Branson 40+ years. They are closed during investigation and not sure how it will end up. So hard to read the victims names and stories.

I didn't realize that 9 of the people who died are from the city near here. (all from the same family). I guess I should quit watching the news about it, 'cause it depresses the heck out of me.

I was on a business trip when this happened on Thursday. In fact, my flights were delayed because air traffic was all messed up all over the country due to that weather system going through the Midwest.

So, it wasn't until yesterday that I caught up with this horrific tragedy. I just watched the press conference with Tia Coleman, who lost her husband, 3 children, and 5 other members of her family. I cannot imagine her pain. Beyond belief. I also feel pain and heartbreak for all the families who lost loved ones on that boat.

My DH used to ride on duck boats in the Marines and he said that they are really not that safe. It does seem like it was kind of a freak storm, but I wonder to what extent the company will be deemed liable.

I also thought of you, FloatOn. Your community must be reeling.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That poor woman. I don’t l how anyone can carry on after losing all their children plus her other losses. I have rode the Ducks many times but won’t ever again.

Anytime children are on any kind of boat, they should have life jackets on. In an interview with the mom, she said that the "captain" pointed to the over head compartments and said "Here's the life jackets, but you won't need them."

I'm sure the company will have their pants sued off........but don't you think parents should also be responsible in making sure the kids have those life jackets on, whether it's required or not?

Still......what a horrendous, unimaginable tragedy. The woman said something like "I don't know if I can go home to an empty house that used to have happiness and giggling kids running through it." Jesus. How could anyone do that? Just totally unimaginable. Makes me sick to my stomach. How do you carry on?

I know a few people that had one child die and the only reason that they didn’t commit suicide was because they still had another child. You don’t expect to need your life jacket on a big commercial boat. Also in the Midwest storms can come up suddenly.

Thread Information