Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfires and smoke

I hope the dogs have masks of some kind. It sounds terrible.
    I know Portland got smoked in (was it last year?) from the Eagle Creek fire.
    So far, we've been lucky; it's unusually dry here, as it was last year.

No masks for the dogs, unfortunately.

It's the about the same here, still lots of smoke, but they are getting the fires under control.

DH came home through Redding/ Shasta (California) when the worst of the fires had just started there. He got photos of the smoke plumes - it looks like bombs going off.

Cabin fever. I may go to Target today just to walk around in a larger space.

Gardenarian so sorry you and all there are going through this! So many fires
    in so many areas.
    I am in Southwestern Ontario so we are usually okay but, is there any norm for these anymore
    Northern On is burning and much further south then usually.
    And, of course British Columbia and the midwest always have fires.
    One Firefight and others have died...sad

Our air is now unhealthy and we have a haze. We have one close fire and the rest is from Redding and Yosemite fires.

We will be smoked in until snow kills the fires. Unfortunately this is an annual event in Idaho be it fires from here or OR. Some of our smoke gets carried by "storms" coming from CA as well but not right now they say.

That’s awful! The longest we have had smoke was a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That’s awful! The longest we have had smoke was a month.
    We've got a ton of land burning within 400 miles :-( Map of the west and it's fires. http://www.idahofireinfo.com/p/maps.html

I read reports that smoke from the southern Oregon fires are creeping into the Willamette Valley--bad news for my friends in Corvallis. And the season is young.

I drove home to the delta in California from Albany OR yesterday. Sky was relatively clear only for the first almost hour. After that, the smoke was so very thick! So weird to be driving for hours with no vertical visibility, tree tops just disappeared, no seeing mountains at all. Many times it looked like I was driving off the edge of the earth, could not see ahead or anything to the side.

I was shocked to see the rest stop on I-5 at Rogue River Valley full of people picnicking, sitting around tables outside!
    So smokey I could hardly breathe, rushed to the restroom and back, only out of my car 6 minutes!

I'm in the Rogue Valley. It's usually so beautiful here. That big clump of fire on the map in South-western Oregon? That's us.

Yes, people are out with their kids, no masks. AQI does vary a lot (from 120-250) hour to hour.

I'm glad I went to Target yesterday, just wandered about and forgot everything for a bit. Then back outside and it's so hot it feels like the parking lot is 1 degree from combusting and the air is like sitting on the wrong side of a campfire. Yeesh.

It is supposed to cool off (90s) this week... Though we usually get the most lightning strikes in August.

I have the firefighters in my thoughts; most of the fires have fewer than 1 firefighter per 150 acres. Can you even imagine?

In solidarity with everyone who's stuck in the smoke ❤️🔥👨*🚒👩*🚒

Thread Information