Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medicare Part D

I think what I am going to do when open enrollment starts October 15th, is find a lower monthly premium and make the change. The checking I have done today came up with one that is comparable to what I have now but with about $10.00 less per month premium.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    I think what I am going to do when open enrollment starts October 15th, is find a lower monthly premium and make the change. The checking I have done today came up with one that is comparable to what I have now but with about $10.00 less per month premium.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Always good to make a fully informed decision.

When Mom was alive, I did her Part D research every renewal period. She was on several really cheap drugs. So each year she signed up with the cheapest plan available to her. It worked for 24 years. Then when she got really sick, she went straight on hospice and Medicare covered 100% of her healthcare during that last 7 weeks.

Being of Medicare age, I opted for Part D. I have not needed any Rx drugs yet, but as the years go by it seems more than likely that a doc will prescribe something. I am paying a little less than $35 per month for my drug insurance coverage.

An article in the AARP Bulletin of May 2017 contained some examples of the cost of newly approved cancer drugs per patient per year:

Bavencio $156,000

Tecentriq $150,000

Thankfully, I'm of an age and subscribe to a philosophy whereby I can just sign up for Hospice. I'm fortunate not to have any conditions Pharma can hold me hostage to. Since I prefer a fancy powdered aspirin product, my drug out of pocket cost is something like six dollars a month. I believe Humana rebates me something like a hundred.

Thread Information