Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way too many ads online.......

Way too many ads online.......

Geez......it's hard to even find information in a single/unbroken form anymore with all the danged commercials. Sometimes I think an article is over, then realize that it picks up about 4 ads down.
    It's really ridiculous.

Do you use an ad blocker?

Hmmm......I'm pretty ignorant of those things. Could you please tell me how to use it?
    Thanks.

I know they exist and I know that we use them and I know that I don’t see very many ads. However I am not the tech person in our house who chose and installed them. I think someone like Allen should enter this thread and advise us ...

Adblock plus is the one I use. This page explains how to install. Basically you just click the link for either firefox or chrome installation and then follow the prompts once you click the install button.

https://adblockplus.org/getting_started

Thanks jp1, I'll check that out.

Adblock is very good.

I use NoScript on Firefox, which is not an ad-blocker per se but, by default, does not allow to run the third-party code that displays ads or runs tracking software on a site. It's more granular than Adblock but I would say it is more involved to use, so I don't recommend it to folks who would rather "just switch it on and use it".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Adblock, Noscript, the Host file on a computer, these are all good things (as well as some better "firewall/nat" devices.
    However when you want help, it would certainly be more beneficial if you actually provided useful information such as what device/software you actually use, because what I may use for one, may not work for another.
    Or google (blocking ads from list your device).

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Or google (blocking ads from list your device).
    Or, better yet, use a search engine that does not track you: DuckDuckGo

Great points in the rest of the post...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Adblock plus is the one I use. This page explains how to install. Basically you just click the link for either firefox or chrome installation and then follow the prompts once you click the install button.

https://adblockplus.org/getting_started
    Me too. I have used adblockplus for a long time and love not having to deal with so many ads and commercials.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thread Information