Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You are as old as you feel -

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'm not offended by the "young lady" stuff. I don't think they mean anything rude about it.

When I was just 41, a cashier at Kohl's asked if I qualified for the senior discount. She was very young. I said "Well, I'm only 41 and now I think I should get the discount anyhow since you thought I was so much older.".......and she gave it to me. haha
    By using “ young “ as a descriptor, which is obviously faux, the are drawing attention to my advanced age.

I dont give a shit about my age when I interact with them and why should they?

I know what you meant, I'm saying that it doesn't bother me. I don't think whoever says it to me is trying to be rude. In fact, I think they're trying to be friendly. I guess rudeness is in the eye of the beholder..........

I know what you meant, I'm saying that it doesn't bother me. I don't think whoever says it to me is trying to be rude. In fact, I think they're trying to be friendly. I guess rudeness is in the eye of the beholder..........
    I don't think they're being rude, necessarily. I think they think they're being "cute" and someone ingratiating. It's the cuteness I don't like. Don't call me young when I'm not. I'm glad I'm not young, and their implication that I'm going to enjoy their overly-familiar little term of "endearment" is completely off-base, and slightly disrespectful, quite honestly.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't think they're being rude, necessarily. I think they think they're being "cute" and someone ingratiating. It's the cuteness I don't like. Don't call me young when I'm not. I'm glad I'm not young, and their implication that I'm going to enjoy their overly-familiar little term of "endearment" is completely off-base, and slightly disrespectful, quite honestly.
    Yes, this.

I had 2 horrible role models for making the best of bad situations, unfortunately. I can't seem to get that optimism that some people have, in spite of adversity. Any suggestions?

Yeah, there does seem to be that moment for some of sudden loss of ability......even overnight for some. I suppose it's best we don't know it's coming........

I remember when I was young and heard an older lady on a commercial say "When you have your health....you have everything." I used to think that was a silly commercial. Not any more........
    I've read that depression and/or attitude is largely genetic, but there is some leeway one can work with. I'm fortunate in that I seem to have an underlying optimism that generally serves me well. I'm fairly content with my circumspect little life; i can still read and research and think, after all. And my sense of humor is intact, without which...well, I can't imagine.

Like your way of thinking, Jane.
    Re others' (staff or anyone else) terms of endearment towards me, i accept it graciously and reflect back respect and courtesy. That is my very simple way of adding a little light to the world without reacting negatively to another whenever possible. Makes life way less stressful and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I think it's influenced by genes, personally. If your grandparents lived into their nineties climbing mountains and chopping wood, you may as well. Most of us aren't that lucky. ...
    Absolutely - this all assumes no substantial mental or physical ailments, and those with good genes definitely have a big advantage.

Dad raised us to be young. I was born when he was 39 (5th of 6). I was likely around 5-6 when I asked him how old he was to which he replied 14! I asked how that was possible. "Well, when you hit 29 you start going backward to 0 and then you start again.

So you see, it's just a number. My poor Dad died a very young 12yo (he smoked 124 pack years

Once I'm fully recovered from this total knee replacement (i'm doing great BTW), I'll be feeling my age of 1

Gardnr.........glad to hear you're doing well with your new knee!

Garden - I like the way your dad thinks!

Thread Information