Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you write letters anymore?

Do you write letters anymore?

Lately, I have been writing letters and really enjoying the personal touch in communicating. I enjoy the thoughts that drift into mind about what to include, how to connect to each different personality etc. Some are simple thank you notes, some are chatty and some just a catch up.

I do have a FB account to check on business pages, I do text, phone, face-time and email with ease and comfort. I even What'sApp but none of them seem as personal or loving as a letter or a note. I like the idea that one can hold the pages, reread and recognize the unique script of each writer.

I am beginning to see it almost as an art form. Anyone else doing this?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just wrote a thank you note. That's about it for me.
    I do keep in touch with email rather than texting, so that's kind of retro, I guess.

I am very, very bad at snail mail cards and letters and I sorely wish I were better. My DIL is amazing. Everywhere she goes she sends us postcards. I get thank you cards for the smallest things. The post office will erect a statue to her someday.

I was just thinking about how I really need to do a better job at keeping in touch with people. Email makes it easy. But thanks for the inspiration, razz. Maybe I'll write a letter tomorrow (but guaranteed I'll forget to take it to the post office and it will sit here for months until I throw it out.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    I wrote letters to my now wife once fiancé 35 years ago. She still has them. Where will the emails be 35 years from now?

Yes, I do write letters. I also print photos and put them into the letters. I used to love to get letters with photos in them.
    i write my grandchildren and my parents, mostly.

On the one hand I agree that the effort it takes to write them and mail them causes letters to be much more scarce than emails or texts or facebook posts, and therefore more precious. On the other hand I have approximately zero letters saved from my past, either sent or received. So, for me at least, I don't necessarily see a reason to send them.

On the other hand though, I look at the similarity of this question with regard to photos. In the old days I took relatively few. Film cost money. Getting it developed cost money. And I never owned anything other than a mediocre point and shoot camera. As a result there are a relatively limited number of pics from my days in high school, college, young adulthood. I've held onto every single one and if I were to look through them none would be a surprise to me. Now I have a smart phone and literally take probably two or three dozen photos every week. Or far more if I'm on vacation. Just yesterday I took a random walk through a neighborhood I'd never been to and came home with a dozen pics.* I'm sure I have more pictures just of our current cats than I do all of my printed photos from pre-smart phone days. And to be sure, the quality of the current photos is much higher. But will I value the countless photos from this part of my life as much as I do the more rare photos from 20 or 30 years ago when I'm an old man spending my days sitting in a rocking chair on my front porch reminiscing about my life? I don't know.

*this really IS such a pretty city. At least when viewed from a distance...
    city view 2018.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Where will the emails be 35 years from now?
    I have 20-year-old emails. People who want to keep them will keep them; people who don't will not. Not much different from letters. And at least emails can withstand a house fire...

I write snail mail only under duress. Thank you notes, yes. Longer letters? Only to a couple of people who will never have email. And I write those on the word processor and print them out to send.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    I still write handwritten notes to people I care about. And I have a chess partner I send snail mail postcards with the next move on it. Crazy huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I still write handwritten notes to people I care about. And I have a chess partner I send snail mail postcards with the next move on it. Crazy huh?
    Actually that’s not crazy, at least to me. it’s charming. And probably really enjoyable.

I have a couple of people I correspond with by snail mail, and I do send thank-you notes and cards. I have all the notes DH sent me when we were kids.

Thread Information