Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 84

Thread: Bad news from the Homeland.......

  1. #71
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,402
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Two things: First, to Rob's point, here is a video about two sisters who both got breast cancer--one had stayed in Canada and had become a US citizen



    Second, I applaud Alan, and anyone, who suffered poverty and worked their way out in a matter-of-fact way, not in a way that cries "poor me."

    Third, Rob does get a little reactionary and repetitive when it comes to certain issues. I think if the volume were turned down, the message might be easier to hear.

    Fourth, when Rob talks about "his country vs Alan's country" or "the 85006" vs any American zip code, I think the profiling of his community goes beyond poverty and access to services. My interpretation of Rob's complaints is that there are pockets of humanity that are still treated unjustly by the powers in authority. Those people tend to be minorities, non-whites, and females. Rob is just asking us to recognize that, perhaps too stridently.

    I feel really lucky to be in this country, and I've lived a blessed life, but I also see a lot of room for improvement. It's great that our political process enables us to do what we can to change it.
    Catherine, hi!

    Thank You for your post. I will admit here and now that I can fixate on certain issues (nice way of putting it, no? lol).......I can see where i come across as strident and I can also see your point about turning the volume down. I'll give you that.

    And about your third sentence? YES! You get it to some degree. There are indeed pockets of America where citizens are treated unjustly for no real legal reason - pockets of America where heaping helpings of injustice are served on a regular basis. I have ended out casting my lot in such an area as such an area is the only America where I am going to run across a majority of residents who "get it" - who understand where I am coming from in my life experiences in this country. But you really have hit this one on the head and struck the ball way out of the park - it is about much more than poverty and access to services, though this is certainly part of the equation. And I do wish more would recognize this, yes. Thank You for understanding this, Catherine....I really appreciate that! Rob

  2. #72
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,960
    Health care is delivered unevenly and sometimes poorly across the United
    states. Healthcare is delivered probably less unevenly* and possibly less poorly in
    Canada.

    This is a pretty general statement I will accept as fact.

    i will not accept as fact Bernie sanders’ campaign video to represent The
    Healthcare debate. The video is an anecdote. An anecdote is one data point.

    * despite known difference amoung provinces.

  3. #73
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,766
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I have trouble accepting that you can slime tens of thousands of honorable people on the basis of some alternate reality you claim to inhabit. How is that different from any other bigot justifying his hatred for a broad group based on his individual experience?

    I have enough faith in my fellow man to believe my objection to your “cop = nazi” assertion would not be “seen through” in any zip code.

    I know two guys who are cops. One has a gay son who he loves and supports. The dude voted for Bernie.

    Another one is married to a Puerto Rican woman and has mixed kids.

    I am pretty sure the Nazis don't allow gayness or race mixing.

    So Rob, how are these cops I know Nazis?
    “I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  4. #74
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    978
    Who is denied health care? My understanding is that if your poor you get Medicare or Medicaid. Otherwise you can just pay for insurance. I thought everyone could just pay for a Obama care plan , and if your income is still on the low side the taxpayers would still pick up some of that.

    Do you really believe that you should be taken care of more than this because you live here?

    I think that healthcare cost are too high, but i don’t think turning everything over to the government is the answer.

  5. #75
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    978
    Wasnt the Austrian homeland annexed into Nazi Germany? Wouldn’t that make Austria a Nazi country at the time?

  6. #76
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,402
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Wasnt the Austrian homeland annexed into Nazi Germany? Wouldn’t that make Austria a Nazi country at the time?
    Yes. The answer to both of your questions is yes. Rob

  7. #77
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Health care is delivered unevenly and sometimes poorly across the United
    states. Healthcare is delivered probably less unevenly* and possibly less poorly in
    Canada.

    This is a pretty general statement I will accept as fact.

    i will not accept as fact Bernie sanders’ campaign video to represent The
    Healthcare debate. The video is an anecdote. An anecdote is one data point.

    * despite known difference amoung provinces.
    My wife has Canadian relatives, her dad has dual citizenship. He actually joined the US Army during Vietnam. Now it’s been a few years, but both her Grandparents had surgery’s performed at the Mayo Clinic. I’m sure if they thought that the care was the same they would not have paid to come here.

    But her relatives do seem to be fine with their healthcare, but they pay quite a bit more in taxes to cover it. Nothing is free.

    i even looked into moving there many years ago. Back then I had enough points to be a candidate. But I was just curious, I have really never had a desire to leave the US. It’s been very good to me.

  8. #78
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,960
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL.....I'm completely not understanding you here. Not one bit.

    Please let me calmly state that I am grateful for the medical help/intervention that I had during my liver infection a year and a half ago. I have never once complained about the care I received. My issues have to do with the fact that not all Americans are eligible for this type of care as they would be if they held citizenship in any other developed country.....repeat ANY OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRY. In caps not to be irksome but only because I'm amazed to this day at how brainwashed Americans tend to be and how they let this country off the hook with something that can boil down to life and death - just so the wealthy can hoard more wealth. I'm not down with that nor will I ever be - just to be clear - there is nothing that could ever change my mind on this one. Period.

    But I'm for once not talking about me here. Really. I'm talking about my disgust that not all are eligible for the care I received and that for some Americans to this day this is perfectly acceptable. I worry for other people here and not just myself and I have always - and it hasn't been easy, trust me, given the way Americans overall tend to think, which is another reason I'm so into "the 85006" - seen my fellow citizens (sort of) as part of a collective. I know people who believe that American citizens are not worth being considered this way but I'm too much of a humanitarian not to think of others this way.

    And I'm not ungrateful. I'm merely fearful of and repulsed by a system in which human life truly is worth so little - do you yourself have a better explanation for the lack of socialized medicine in this country for all - given the fact, once again, that the US is the only developed country in which human life is not worth socialized medicine? There is no ingratitude in asking the hard questions and holding America accountable for this lack.....not that I can see, anyway.

    Has this my made my position more clear?
    Rob
    Maybe.

    Without getting into the specifics of health care which
    I dont want to do on this thread and with you, I think you are more wrong than right when you overstate the drastic nature of lack of healthcare in the USA.

    I do not believe you entirely when you say your advocate for others. I guess that is because for too many years and hundreds of posts we here have listened to you write about you own fear, your worry, your concern for yourself.

    That all seems pretty self centered to me.

    But I will accept that some of your “advocacy” is about concern for others.

  9. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ok, now for specifics please since I am still trying to figure out if Austria is the only Big Bad
    Immoral country in this discussion or if the US of A also earns that label.

    What year are you talking about when you say “the law has since changed.” What year was your experience?
    It was mid 80's. My guess would be 1985. Gramm Rudman had recently passed and boy were the agents at the INS which is what it was called then ticked off about the budget cuts. So that may be why they gave me the workaround.

    Also, the law may have already changed to allow dual citizenship but the forms had not been updated. I vaguely remember using that as an argument but it was a long time ago.
    Last edited by Yppej; 7-26-18 at 7:59pm.

  10. #80
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, I may have posted about this before but I have been to auschwitz and it was a moving experience. You can literally feel the people’s pain and feel their souls. When I got to the room with people’s hair, eyeglasses, shoes and k suitcases I got super hot even though it was cold and stripped down to my tank top. I ran to a window and stuck my head out to breathe. I had a panic attack but was determined to complete the tour. I wish everyone could experience this. It might help people be more compassionate.
    TT, I really was struck by your post here. I myself have always been apprehensive about visiting Auschwitz for much the same reason. I am afraid I'd have some kind of horrible reaction due to feeling some connection to those who perished there - some kind of connection that would lead to a severe panic attack or maybe worse. I've even had dreams of such a thing happening before.

    Just wanted to say that I respect you for continuing on with the tour after your reaction......I don't know if I could, truth be told. And I agree that more of the world needs to experience Auscwitz.......if such doesn't lead to more compassion, perhaps at least more awareness of the extreme evil human beings are capable of. Rob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •