Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Real estate agents: What should I expect?

You'll like this one:
    Last week we were walking around a neighborhood, checking out the different houses. This dude comes out of his back door and says, "I've seen you walking around looking at the houses, and you're looking in my backyard, and I'm telling you to stop it right now."

Very aggressive. We explained we were looking at a house for sale. He's all, "Which one?"

WTF?! It was hard to miss the huge inflatable pink flamingo in his swimming pool.

Guess we don't wanna live there.

Part time real estate agents usually give part time results. I would avoid.

I would WANT to be checking Realtor.com regularly, but
    I guess some people dont want to do that. I find it fun. I found our last house on Realtor.com, and in fact, remember it from the time before when it was sold because I have been checking listings in Hermann for 3+ years.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-26-18 at 12:29pm.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    You'll like this one:
    Last week we were walking around a neighborhood, checking out the different houses. This dude comes out of his back door and says, "I've seen you walking around looking at the houses, and you're looking in my backyard, and I'm telling you to stop it right now."

Very aggressive. We explained we were looking at a house for sale. He's all, "Which one?"

WTF?! It was hard to miss the huge inflatable pink flamingo in his swimming pool.

Guess we don't wanna live there.
    We got in trouble for that the other day too. We have a favorite neighborhood and we were driving slow and looking at some recent remodels that stayed within the feel of the old neighborhood. Someone called the police on us but who can blame them. I said "Yeah, they watch out for each other." I'm sure with our little black truck we looked like we were looking for Amazon boxes or something or like we were casing to come back at night and burgle.

I've never used a realestate agent (bought directly from old man who built a house every few years). But I would expect them to listen to my list and find things suitable and give inside scoop or tell me what to stay away from.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    you're looking in my backyard, and I'm telling you to stop it right now.
    If you can see it from the sidewalk or street, there's nothing illegal going on. If he doesn't want his backyard on view, he should put up a privacy fence. And hope Google doesn't show up with a drone.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I bought my first place sans realtor; it worked out well. I probably should have done the same with this house.
    I'm so very glad you can browse houses on line now; I need to look at many, many properties to come up with one or two to look at.

I've never bought a home, but as a commercial insurance underwriter who does non-medical professional liability I can tell you that the biggest source of claims on real estate broker professional liability policies are double agent issues. (the second biggest issue is selling agents that try to hide property defects that they know about) If/when we ever buy a house I'll be looking at either using a buyer's agent or just hiring a lawyer experienced in residential real estate to handle the details/paperwork of the purchase.

We just had a "buyer's agent" and the guy was an absolute disaster. Bullied us to buy houses with major, major issues--last one had an attic full of mold. He never returned our earnest money on that one. In my book, he acted like a bully and a thief. He also made us sign a contract that we never should have signed, that we would only buy from him in certain counties until a date six months out. Never again. I like the idea of having our lawyer draw up a contract and working only with seller's agents for access.

It is worth remembering that, unless you somehow arrange to pay up front (far from customary in the U.S.), no real estate agent gets paid commission until the property closes. So both seller's and buyer's agents have an incentive to get you to buy now Now NOW.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

(the second biggest issue is selling agents that try to hide property defects that they know about)
    Interesting...the house we bought here had no latent defects (I hope) but was a rental when we bought it so we had to honor the lease for six months. The seller's agent (and perhaps ours) told us it had one tenant but as things rolled on, it turned out there were three. They made up some bogus lease agreements right before we submitted a contract for the additional two and (we think) purposefully left a letter off one of the lease's surnames. I did some sleuthing right after we bought the house and that tenant was a felon parolee charged with attempted murder and domestic violence. I will always wonder if the two agents colluded as they knew it would be a hard sell in that situation.

Oh Pinktoe, that is yuch. I am looking at a house that is currently rented and you can't get in to see it--no showings, and I wonder about that. Ugh.

Thread Information