Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No longer prepared to move at any time...

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Fair enough, IL....it's been some time and I don't remember all the specifics....fair enough. Looks like Bae can get in if he so chooses. Rob
    He also has an elderly mother in this country. I wonder why she is not used as an excuse to stay.

I think because his mother might come with him I don't know though, I don't keep track.
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    He also has an elderly mother in this country. I wonder why she is not used as an excuse to stay.
    Ouch, IL....Ouch. I've never struck you personally at this level, have I? Food for thought is all..........Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't like moving, but I have the fantasy, out of depression yea, and of not having found work yet. I have the fantasy because as Townes Van Zandt sings: "it seems easier than just waitin' around to die".

Like most things we may have our preferences but the universe cares a fig all about that, and what we really do when push comes to shove is all there is to say. Preferences, I think it's ideal to feel part of a community.
    That's it....community. That's what I have in the neighborhood I live in, and it's hard to give that up as it's hard to find this in America (and to be fair, I've heard this is true in Britain, Canada, and Australia, too......NZ I haven't heard about this either way). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I ran into an old boss years ago, at our dentist's office in Portland. He was splitting his life between Idaho and New Zealand--six months each. He seemed very happy.
    I'm today toying with the idea of moving between Iceland/Norway and New Zealand seasonally.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think because his mother might come with him I don't know though, I don't keep track.
    I told my mother about the New Zealand plan last night, and she wanted to start packing her bags to leave today :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Ouch, IL....Ouch. I've never struck you personally at this level, have I? Food for thought is all..........Rob
    Rob, I sincerely believe your use of your mom to be a bogus excuse for staying in the USA. Like it or not, that is my thought about your lack of action.

I do think that all of the things you posted on this thread in post #14, your friends and neighbors and sense of belonging in your community as well as the regular income and healthcare I spoke about up thread, all these things, keep you here. Honesty about that would garner more respect from me. You have it good here. You are too comfortable to move.

What happened to your plan to get into a field where you could generate income while living in Mexico or elsewhere? I havent observed that you are working on that.

But since you focus on your mother as your reason for staying in the USA, I am curious as to why she doesnt want to move. What are her reasons? She doesnt like it here and curses the day she gave up citizenship in The Homeland. So, why stay?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-27-18 at 11:02am.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I told my mother about the New Zealand plan last night, and she wanted to start packing her bags to leave today :-)
    I've seen a lot of footage of New Zealand, and it's breathtaking. They do get earthquakes, but the PNW is overdue for one, too. And then there are Iceland's volcanoes...Never a dull moment.

This year seems to be one of upheaval all around.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm today toying with the idea of moving between Iceland/Norway and New Zealand seasonally.
    If
    I lived in the South Island I wouldnt ever want to go to Cold country, ugh. Well, I suppose they do not have too many bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Rob, I sincerely believe your use of your mom’s presence to be a bogus excuse for staying in the USA. Like it or not, that is my thought about your or lack of action.

I do think that all of the things you posted on this thread in post #14, your friends and neighbors and sense of belonging in your community as well as the regular income and healthcare I spoke about up thread, all these things, keep you here. Honesty about that would garner more respect from me. You have it good here. You are too comfortable to move.

What happened to your plan to get into a field where you could generate income while living in Mexico or elsewhere? I havent observed that you are working on that.

But since you focus on your mother as your reason for staying in the USA, I am curious as to why she doesnt want to move. What are her reasons? She doesnt like it here and curses the day she gave up citizenship in The Homeland. So, why stay?
    Fair question, IL, now that you have framed it this way and given the nature of my posts. I'll give you this much - this comes across as a fair question.

So here's an answer. My mother feels about this country as I do however....she does have Medicare and since we are in Arizona, it's easy to get on a Medicare Advantage plan with minimal co-pays. She also is 76 years of age and dreads any major upheaval in her life. But I believe the strongest reason is this: Leaving the US would be admitting to all the family in Austria that it was a mistake to come to the United States. She has admitted as much verbally many more times than once but to pick up and pack up is to really admit this and I don't think she wants to face that level of scrutiny by family over her decision to come here and take the citizenship. Especially since doing so worked against her in terms of standard of living and stress levels during her working years. Rob

Thread Information