Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No longer prepared to move at any time...

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Huh. I have mountains of stuff here, but it doesn't mean anything to me really.

Yesterday I briefly contemplated simply hopping on a plane, flying to New Zealand, and buying myself citizenship there, travelling with just my carry-on.
    That is a fun mental exercise. I can see that. NZ has some elements that make it fantasy land.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That is a fun mental exercise. I can see that. NZ has some elements that make it fantasy land.
    Yup, I noticed I could liquidate enough capital in a day to sneak in through one of their investor-immigrant programs, and just leave all this mess here behind :-)

Yup, I noticed I could liquidate enough capital in a day to sneak in through one of their investor-immigrant programs, and just leave all this mess here behind :-)
    I have always though that NZ is a place
    I could move and love it, even without having visited there.

We have assets to make the move but could only liquidate 75% of it in one day.

My question is about how much the USA would confiscate on our way out, an issue you have educated me about. We would not have extra dinero to cover that.

Anyway, bas, you might end up in another country in the future without a wife to consider, of it comes to that. I did wonder what she thought of your contemplation of a move to one of those Northern European countries you liked, cant remember which one.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-26-18 at 2:42pm.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This is an interesting thread. We all know how I feel about the US - there's no need to go into this again here at this point. So I'm going to take this from the perspective of my zip code. The infamous 85006.

It would be surprisingly difficult for me to just pick up and leave at the drop of a hat. I am emotionally invested here in my activism, in my friends and neighbors.....were I to move further north into a "better area" I would not fit in anywhere near as well and realistically would have to suck up a lot and keep my mouth shut to avoid issues/problems - whereas where I live I'm pretty much worth the right to be myself. This would be hard to give up without some perks in it for me - no need to go into specific perks here and now, I've posted about these perks on and on and on. My point is that I would not want to give up the ability to be myself around people who agree with me unless I could at least get that which I could get in any other developed country. Rob

Yesterday I briefly contemplated simply hopping on a plane, flying to New Zealand, and buying myself citizenship there, travelling with just my carry-on.
    For what it's worth, I'm jealous......but wasn't there a poster on here some time ago that immigrated to New Zealand and started some kind of business and didn't get renewed for their visa and ended out moving to Pittsburgh? This was several years ago and I don't remember the poster's name, but I do remember the basics of their story.

My point is that I don't know how picky New Zealand is once you get there - but money does talk and you seem to have money so maybe you would succeed where this other person did not, I really don't know Bae and I don't claim to. I only bring up this story as it pertains to immigrating to NZ and maybe other long termers here remember this poster and their story? Rob

I ran into an old boss years ago, at our dentist's office in Portland. He was splitting his life between Idaho and New Zealand--six months each. He seemed very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm jealous......but wasn't there a poster on here some time ago that immigrated to New Zealand and started some kind of business and didn't get renewed for their visa and ended out moving to Pittsburgh? This was several years ago and I don't remember the poster's name, but I do remember the basics of their story.

My point is that I don't know how picky New Zealand is once you get there - but money does talk and you seem to have money so maybe you would succeed where this other person did not, I really don't know Bae and I don't claim to. I only bring up this story as it pertains to immigrating to NZ and maybe other long termers here remember this poster and their story? Rob
    Zoebird did not move there on the “Investor” class plan. She was on some sort of entrepreneurial plan.

“Investor” class works this way: if you have the dough, you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I ran into an old boss years ago, at our dentist's office in Portland. He was splitting his life between Idaho and New Zealand--six months each. He seemed very happy.
    Omg, one of my fantasies—have TWO lilies ‘n Iris seasons a year! Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Zoebird did not move there on the “Investor” class plan. She was on some sort of entrepreneurial plan.

“Investor” class works this way: if you have the dough, you are in.
    Fair enough, IL....it's been some time and I don't remember all the specifics....fair enough. Looks like Bae can get in if he so chooses. Rob

I don't like moving, but I have the fantasy, out of depression yea, and of not having found work yet. I have the fantasy because as Townes Van Zandt sings: "it seems easier than just waitin' around to die".

Like most things we may have our preferences but the universe cares a fig all about that, and what we really do when push comes to shove is all there is to say. Preferences, I think it's ideal to feel part of a community.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information