Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: No longer prepared to move at any time...

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Im glad it worked out for you. My wife was looking at both homes being of similar value, not a cabin. And I wasn’t looking for something that I would have to work on. Taxes, insurance, utilities, and furnishings for two homes was just more than I wanted. Plus I’d be worrying about the home I wasn’t living in being damaged, robbed, or vandalized. .
    The value is similar but the mountain home is just 1250sf and our city home is 1850. And fortunately we bought it when we were just 42 and had the physical energy to do all that work. It's interesting the worry/fear part. We were for the first 5 years as well. We've grown comfortable with that. We do have 3 nearby neighbors who live their full time and keep "an eye out" and have our # if we need to get up there quickly which is sweet.

And I totally understand NOT wanting to own 2 homes. DH is a homebody. He will travel with me if I ask, but he'd be OK if we never went anywhere. So we have the cabin, and I do part of my traveling without him. I do some travel for work and for continued education so I tack on tourist days to those trips and get my travel fix

We had two places for several years and I had the worry/fear thing in spades. No matter where I was, I was worried about the other house. We think about doing it again, but I don't know, it's really hard.

But it's also quite hard to sell first and then hope to be comfortable finding something, when you are in a seller's market in the new place, and you have dogs.

I remember my husband being so proud that everything he owned could fit in his little Mazda B2000 truck (a guitar, a duffel of clothes, a simple wood chair he liked to sit in to play the guitar) when we got married. He bragged about that for years. Maybe this thread and my thinking about that claim lead to the dream I had last night. We'd agreed to foster a child. I went to pick up the child and they said it was a family of 9 (2 adults/7children)!!! DH insisted we could make room for them and I was in the midst of reeling off all his music equipment he'd have to move to make room for 9 air mattresses when I woke up!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

The hardest part about moving is making new friends. Also developing deep friendship doesn’t always happen. I have that and would not give it up. I definitely do not want 2 homes to take care of. I love the simplicity of having one small home. On this last driving trip we just stayed in hotels. I also live where we have 4 mild seasons which is a requirement for me. I don’t like it hot all the time. In fact spring and fall are my 2 favorite seasons. I think I have convinced DH to sell the RV once the big guy dies. We only use it rarely and don’t go more than 4 hours from home due to price of gas and RV sites. It was cheaper to use our car and stay in hotels than to take the RV on the 4K trip. So glad we bought it used otherwise it would have been a expensive lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I definitely do not want 2 homes to take care of. I love the simplicity of having one small home. On this last driving trip we just stayed in hotels..
    Cleaning: I spend about 1 hour a week on our city home (1850sf) and 20m on our cabin each time we arrive. Easy peasy. Windows I pay to have done as needed-generally 2-3/year in the city and 1/yr at the cabin.

G, you really have cleaning down to a science. I envy that. Once a month I have cleaners come and do the floors and bathrooms. I do everything else. Not sure how long it takes because I do cleaning when I feel like it. I do my own windows every spring as well as taking down all the curtains and washing them.

Thread Information