Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should this bother me?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should this bother me?

I tend to be a little OCD about things and would like to be more flexible.

I've had a Kitchenaid mixer for many years. It started making bad noises, so I spent a month working on it, being in touch with a great appliance parts person.....but when I was almost done, I was still getting metal shavings. So I gave up for awhile.

In the meantime, I decided to upgrade and bought a more powerful one, since I mostly use it for grinding meat. I got a great deal at Kohls..........a big cash-back and a rebate. The new one finally came and this is what it looks like. I ordered Almond color. Of course how the top and bottom match or don't match varies in different lighting. But this shot is probably of it in light that shows the biggest difference from the top and bottom. I realize it probably has nothing to do with the quality of how it works (haven't tried it yet).......but dang......can't they match top and bottom better? I'm going to call the company.......but should I just accept the differences in color? I realize it's a very personal thing........as to how much each of us will tolerate, but it's going to be a hassle exchanging it. It weighs a ton.

From what I've read, Kitchenaid isn't the same great quality it used to be.

What do you think?

IMG_9770.jpg

Williamsmith
    I have the same mixer it seems. An Artisan, but mine is entirely white top and bottom. I think the bottom should match the top. Me? I would take it back to Kohl’s and ask them if they have another one, open the box and see if there is any difference in the color consistency. Then decide. Or you could email customer support and call the phone number on the side of the mixer and tell them your issue. See what they say. All those stand mixers are assembled in Ohio. Maybe someone had a hangover. By the way, have you considered a meat grinder?

I'd bring it to KitchenAid's attention. Send them 2-3-4 pictures of the mixer in different lighting and ask them if they believe this level of color match is acceptable. You've already got the pictures; shouldn't take too much to contact them (for better results hit their Twitter or Facebook feeds). Doing this on social media also could bring out other mixer users experiencing this issue.

KitchenAid is not what it was in its Hobart days, but it's marketed as a premium product; IMHO you should expect better than this.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Strange. I looked at almond KitchenAid pictures online, and they don't seem to have a dramatic difference in color shade, but from what I can see in your picture, yours does. I wonder why? Could it be faulty? Refurbished?

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the hassle of exchanging it, though. I keep mine tucked away. If you keep yours on the counter and it bothers you, give them a call and see what they say.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, I talked with customer service at Kitchenaid and she said to exchange it at Kitchenaid and not Kohls. She said it would assure that it was just what I ordered. I guess I'll do that, but wonder if the same thing will happen with another one. I've always wondered if there's a quality difference between the ones you get at a store, versus the ones direct from the company? Anyhow....thanks for your replies. She said I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.....which is good, since it weighs a ton.
    I sure miss the quality of things in the past. Seems like it isn't out there anymore....in spite of things still costing alot.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Well, I talked with customer service at Kitchenaid and she said to exchange it at Kitchenaid and not Kohls. She said it would assure that it was just what I ordered. I guess I'll do that, but wonder if the same thing will happen with another one. I've always wondered if there's a quality difference between the ones you get at a store, versus the ones direct from the company? Anyhow....thanks for your replies. She said I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.....which is good, since it weighs a ton.
    I sure miss the quality of things in the past. Seems like it isn't out there anymore....in spite of things still costing alot.
    About quality--I know that Walmart demands price reductions from their vendors, and frequently the only way to do that is to lower the quality of the item. For example, some Brother sewing machines sold at Walmart have some plastic parts where other Brother sewing machines would have metal parts. I don't know if Kohls is like that, though.

And some lemons will creep through in any manufacturing batch, which may be what happened to your mixer. Kitchenaid still stands behind its products, so I'd do the exchange through them.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Many things certainly are better. Used to be if you got 20,000 miles out of a set of tires, you lit a candle and said a prayer. There are no more "tube testers" at your local drug store or hardware store because tubes (and the wait and the heat and the misalignment that were endemic) are history for all but those who actively seek them out. A transcontinental air flight -- despite today's pinched seats and non-existent legroom -- is a pleasure compared to the unpressurized ordeal it used to be. Sure, many things are made cheaper. But not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous
    Kitchenaid still stands behind its products, so I'd do the exchange through them.
    One question I would ask KA, though, is if you'd be getting a new replacement product or a refurbished one and what the warranty looks like (clock starts on a new warranty/remainder of original warranty/90 days for a replacement product, etc.).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

This is curious........I put the mixer in a different spot closer to the window and it all looks the same! So the color varies as to the lighting on it. So...... I'm thinking of keeping it. All the work to return it and who knows what problem the next one would have. I'm still mulling it over, and I'm being neurotic about the color, but I think I need to accept it. I ran it and it seems okay (for now).

Here's a pic of it in a different spot.

IMG_9784.jpg

Hi Cathy, love the mixer, and I have one like it only mine is red. I used to have a navy blue, and before that, white. I would keep the mixer in the new spot because as you say, sometimes, there are issues with functioning and you know this one runs well. For some reason, when I saw the picture of yours, I imagined those 70's op art orange and yellow flower decals people used to put on vw's. If you put a couple of those on the mixer, then you will never notice any shade discrepancy on the mixer. But I know, that's very weird, I've just been on this retro kick.
    But it sure looks good in this picture.

Something like this likely would hide any color variations, too...

Thread Information