Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going without deodorant?

When I was in my 30’s I had a nasty odor and had to use a special deodorant. Now I don’t need any. Weird stuff happens as you age. The hair on my legs barely grows but hair grows where it never used to.

I've never used deodorant, it seems I don't have the genes that make for body odor (I'm not delusional, I have asked others.) My shirts never have any smell on the underarms either. Lucky!

I use a salt stick. No smell, no poison, easy to put on, and very cheap. A $6 stick is supposed to last a year, but my current one is more than 2 years old and still has about a third of its mass. There's also a small travel size. I use it once or twice a day. Be sure to wet the stick or your skin before applying. Also helps to keep you hair trimmed.

I've been using natural deodorants (not antiperspirant) or homemade for the past 15 years or so. But for the past 10+/- years, I've become really stinky.

Now that I'm having hot flashes and am close to menopause, my BO is gone!!! Woohoo! Something good out of this. Thank goodness because my job has me running around all day, in and out of an 80 degree kitchen and going home like I spent a day at the gym.

For now, Schmidt natural deodorant is working for me so I'm sticking with it. I use the bergamot/lime scent. I may go without one day when I'm home just to see how offensive I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    I use a salt stick. No smell, no poison, easy to put on, and very cheap. A $6 stick is supposed to last a year, but my current one is more than 2 years old and still has about a third of its mass. There's also a small travel size. I use it once or twice a day. Be sure to wet the stick or your skin before applying. Also helps to keep you hair trimmed.
    After seeing the previous comment about spray on crystal deodorant I went googling and was reading reviews of the crystal sticks and there were some common complaints. Chief among them that if you aren't careful when wetting it you will cause it to seperate from the base, and consequently fall to the floor and smash into bits, and secondarily a sizable number of people complained that after a few months the stick itself started to smell like BO. Have you run into either of these issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I've never used deodorant, it seems I don't have the genes that make for body odor (I'm not delusional, I have asked others.) My shirts never have any smell on the underarms either. Lucky!
    I suppose this means that you also avoided that horrendously awkward conversation with your mother while going somewhere in the car at age 13 where she said "JP (or in your case, G) as you start to mature and become a man your body starts to do new things. One of those things is that you start to have BO. I've noticed that you... so I have bought you some deodorant and when we get home your father will show you ..."

Williamsmith
    I use it. I don’t like to be reminded of the smell of decaying bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    After seeing the previous comment about spray on crystal deodorant I went googling and was reading reviews of the crystal sticks and there were some common complaints. Chief among them that if you aren't careful when wetting it you will cause it to seperate from the base, and consequently fall to the floor and smash into bits, and secondarily a sizable number of people complained that after a few months the stick itself started to smell like BO. Have you run into either of these issues?
    I have not had the odor problem, but yes, my salt stick separated from the base after several months or maybe a year. This is no big deal, as the stick is easy enough to hold without the base. I have dropped it a few times, and it has not shattered yet. Maybe it would on a tile floor, but on linoleum or vinyl or a bath mat, it always survives the fall.

The odor issue might be per person. If I were having that problem, I would just buy the $3 travel size and replace it every few months.

I'm not much of a sweat factory. I apply one swipe on occasion and I haven't really read labels it's probably a deodorant. One stick lasts a few years.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I haven't used deodorant for many years. My lady friend was surprised when I told her that I don't used deodorant. I have a plant based diet, which means less toxin coming out of my skin. I have a collection of essential oils which I will put on my neck or wrist occasionally.
    I have heard of cases where someone is having trouble with glands that are near the arm pits. They go to the doctor, and he doesn't know what is causing the problem. It's usually the deodorant! There are very toxic chemicals in commercial deodorants. If you can't do without it, try to find natural deodorants. You will find them in natural food stores.
    Life Lessons From The Pennsylvania Dutchhttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/804572

Thread Information