Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going without deodorant?

Going without deodorant?

I profoundly dislike deodorant. I don't like the way it looks, smells, feels, or how I have to buy. I don't like having to put it on every day.

It also has lots of nasty, poisonous chemicals in it.

When I am going to spend an entire day without being in close proximity to anyone, I forego the deodorant. Occasionally I can go a whole weekend.

Anyone else dislike deodorant? Anyone ever go without it for any considerable amount of time -- like a weekend or a whole week?

Ooo.. now we're getting down and dirty personal!

I admit to being a "discerning" deodorant user, meaning I don't just use it as a matter of habit, but will definitely use it when I'm going to be around people/close to people. If I'm going to be on a plane, I wouldn't think of not using it--or in any business situations. Otherwise, why bother. Fortunately or unfortunately, we usually have a hard time offending ourselves with our own odor. And if you shower daily, can the bacteria on your skin really work that fast? My assumption is, your armpits are like fish. The first couple of days isn't so bad. But maybe I'm wrong about that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Ooo.. now we're getting down and dirty personal!

I admit to being a "discerning" deodorant user, meaning I don't just use it as a matter of habit, but will definitely use it when I'm going to be around people/close to people. If I'm going to be on a plane, I wouldn't think of not using it--or in any business situations. Otherwise, why bother. Fortunately or unfortunately, we usually have a hard time offending ourselves with our own odor. And if you shower daily, can the bacteria on your skin really work that fast? My assumption is, your armpits are like fish. The first couple of days isn't so bad. But maybe I'm wrong about that.
    If I do not put on deodorant I will have stinky armpits in about 3 hours.

But I am not scheduled to be around anyone today or tomorrow. So sans deodorant au natural it is!!! Woo-hoo!

I stopped using it many years ago. First, I went to organic. That's when the chemicals your body has absorbed over time are extruded....you will throw out clothing.

Then I had a breakout to the organic. Stopped altogether. It takes some time to get accustomed to your own pheromones. I have several highly trusted people I've told and asked to promise if they smell "too much". They all continue to assure me I'm just fine.

So, I've been deodorant free for years.......

There is deodorant and antiperspirant. Are you controlling for just odour or for sweat? Something to consider...

A friend undergoing chemo treatment about 10 years ago was advised to avoid all regular deodorants but to look for those with zinc oxide. His DW did the research and came up with the best alternative as far as I am concerned. Baby products to control diaper rash have 15% zinc oxide and some have more. I buy a small jar of this diaper rash cream and apply the tiniest amount after my alternate-day shower - tiny - tap your finger into and apply. Over the 10 years or more I have used one jar and am less than halfway through the second one. It is a deodorant only so i still perspire as normal which I prefer. Thrifty, safe and effective and no concerns about body odour.

I make a deodorant from coconut oil with some anti bacterial essential oils mixed in (typically something like tea tree, thyme and lavender). I use anti perspirant daily because I'm a sweat-er and I hate the feeling. And even with showering daily, shaving armpits and scrubbing, I still smelled even with anti perspirant on. Towels got a distinct funk after just a couple of days (and I'm using the towel AFTER the shower). So now I put on the coconut oil after showering, and before the anti perspirant and things are much better. I'm just too stinky otherwise, I gross /myself/ out.

I like the way Catherine put it - "a 'discerning' deodorant user." I am the same. I don't tend to get sweaty under my arms and DH is the one who suggested that I probably don't even need it. So for the past few years, I've become an occasional user of organic deodorants. I mainly use EO lavender, but DSIS is a shopper and is always trying new brands, so I also get and use her rejects. Formulations with coconut oil do tend to make me break out.
    DH is a pretty fragrant guy who sweats profusely. He really likes L'Occitane Baux. It runs about $20, so I try try to stock up when L'Occitane is offering a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    So, I've been deodorant free for years.......
    Amazing! I am so jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    There is deodorant and antiperspirant. Are you controlling for just odour or for sweat? Something to consider...
    I was using "deodorant" on this thread as shorthand for any deodorant or antiperspirant applied to the armpits. Hope this clarifies!

I haven’t used it since I was in high school. Doesn’t see problematic. Sometimes have to sneak in an extra shower or other remedy if I’m working super hard, but deodorant wouldn’t stop the issue.

Thread Information