Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going without deodorant?

I don't like feeling sweaty so I love antiperspirants (but some fragrances are too strong so I'm picky), I don't even care if it's unhealthy, oh well can't always choose the healthiest route, I'll give it away when you take it out of my cold dead sweaty stinky armpits. But I might try the coconut oil thing in addition to antiperspirant.
    Trees don't grow on money

I alternate between using nothing, baking soda and unscented Ban stick.

Hubby uses deodorant, not antiperspirant and I noticed the main ingredient seems to be alcohol. This caused me to think a swipe of rubbing alcohol under the pits might work. Thoughts?

This caused me to think a swipe of rubbing alcohol under the pits might work.
    Sure. The smell is caused by bacteria that like to eat sweat. So anything that kills the bacteria is going to reduce any smell.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    This caused me to think a swipe of rubbing alcohol under the pits might work. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Sure. The smell is caused by bacteria that like to eat sweat. So anything that kills the bacteria is going to reduce any smell.
    Alcohol also dehydrates, which would probably help keep the sweat down, at least initially. Putting it in some sort of gooey concoction like deodorant probably keeps the effect going a lot longer.

Personally I doubt I could get away with not using it weekdays (my office is a densely packed open office concept where people even complain about excessive food smells on occasion), but on weekends after I shower if I don't have plans to go out in public I'll skip the deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Alcohol also dehydrates, which would probably help keep the sweat down, at least initially.
    Wohoo! Think I'll drink more

I'd like to take a vacation, somewhere in the tropics, and not use deodorant for two weeks. Get a little cabina on the beach with cold water showers -- like in Costa Rica or some such.

And just see how ripe I actually get... haha

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

Personally I doubt I could get away with not using it weekdays (my office is a densely packed open office concept where people even complain about excessive food smells on occasion)...
    Yeah, in my office eating hard boiled eggs or microwaving leftover Indian food is considered an office prank on your coworkers. haha

Though often for weeks at a time our office will smell like sewage. We are in the basement. The plumbing sometimes gets off kilter and then bad smells waft about.

Also, everyone from the 3 floors above ground come to the basement to drop their deuces. Results can be inferred.

We basement trolls gets no respect!

Crystal mineral deodorant spray

Minerals kill the BO smell
    No scent
    No stickiness
    Can’t tell it’s there once it dries
    Doesn’t stain clothing

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I stopped using it many years ago. First, I went to organic. That's when the chemicals your body has absorbed over time are extruded....you will throw out clothing.

Then I had a breakout to the organic. Stopped altogether. It takes some time to get accustomed to your own pheromones. I have several highly trusted people I've told and asked to promise if they smell "too much". They all continue to assure me I'm just fine.

So, I've been deodorant free for years.......
    I could have written this post, except mine would have said one year instead of years I had allergic reactions to deodorants years ago so started using the natural crystal brand with no problems until last summer. I had horrible breaking out, itching, pain, etc. so to jump to the end, I finally just quit using it altogether. I make my own bath powder from equal portions of baking soda and corn starch and that seems to do the trick for me. Keeps me dry and fresh feeling. But, I am a low sweater and if I am doing something outside or working out and not ready to take a shower, I will do a quick wash-up and add some more powder. No problems so far.....that I know of. I was just thinking the other day that it has been a year since I had that problem and was so discouraged, not knowing what to do because I thought you HAD to use deodorant, but not having the painful breaking out has been wonderful!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thread Information