Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 foods you just cannot stand

Top 5 foods you just cannot stand

Now, I dislike all vegetables. But... there are certain foods I just do not like. And oddly, only one is a veggie, kind of.

1. Mushrooms (they taste like poison)
    2. Steak (I have tried it many times from Texas to Argentina, and no bueno!)
    3. Limburger cheese (I tried it twice. Never again!)
    4. Beef liver (Nasty!)
    5. Black/blood sausage (I tried this in Argentina and I damn near vommed on the table!).

What are your top 5 foods you cannot stand to eat? Feel free to share why, or better yet -- stories! haha

You didn't list the vegetable, but you did a fungus.

I thought maybe a mushroom counted as a veggie, sort of.

The only veggies I like are peas and corn. I am a fussy eater so dislike lots of food.

Seafood, generally. I spent my early childhood at the coast, and remember cleaning clams, fish, etc. It left its mark. I can enjoy clam chowder (New England) and an occasional tuna salad or sandwich.

Nutmeg in savory dishes. Why? Leave it to custard or egg nogs.

Steak. I don't really hate big slabs o' meat, but again--i think it's a childhood thing. I swear I remember eating steak five nights a week (back when people weren't afraid of protein or fat). I had to slather ketchup on mine and drown it in onions to make it interesting. Beef is my favorite meat, but it has to be part of a bigger picture.

Rhubarb. I can't figure out why anyone would eat this. I've tried it as a child and as an adult. It's a mystery.

Zucchini, cooked, plain. It's OK in bread, or fried. I don't like the flavor or the texture.

I'm not picky, so I have to say there are few things I can't stand:

a) Peanut butter: a lifelong aversion. One of my most traumatic experiences as a child was when my aunt MADE me finish a peanut butter sandwich on rye.
    b) Lima beans

I'm having a hard time coming up with any others. I used to hate nuts, but when I became vegetarian, my palate shifted and I found myself craving nuts (I'm sure it was a protein craving, but funny how that affected what I actually wanted to eat).

I love oysters, but I get a very violent reaction to eating raw oysters, so I don't eat those. Also, I suspect if I moved to China I'd have a hard time there, because according to my husband, they eat things like turtle and I don't think I could force myself to eat that. I think I'm too old to experiment with eating exotic wildlife.

I'm not a foodie in the sense of being into the gastronomic experience of eating, but OTOH, give me anything (except peanut butter and lima beans) and I'll probably eat it and enjoy it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Things I won't eat ever:

Eggs- hate the smell and the texture since very early childhood. If a quiche has enough other stuff in it, I can choke it down.
    Hot Dogs, and other similar mild sausages (though I like spicy Italian and chorizo sausages)
    Eggplant- a texture thing

Things that depend on how they're prepared:

Weird things you find a pot luck
    Tofu and similar soy products

If properly prepared I can handle most foods except raw meats of any kind, squid in any form, or similar spongy fishlike foods. I gag on fish bones in tinned fish like sardines and salmon so only eat them when carefully prepared. Sickenly sweet ice cream I throw away and I cannot tolerate cilantro ever.
    Basically I like most foods but I am not a foodie so while I enjoy good nutritious food, properly prepared, I try to eat a protein, a starch and veggies/fruit at every meal and then forget about it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

turnips and rutabagas - ugh why would anyone eat these horrible tasting things?
    mushrooms give me stomach pain, they taste ok though
    well I hated liver as a kid and have not had it since
    I'm not really into organ meats in general - but that's really a cultural thing being raised an American
    i'm not a huge fan of radishes except the pickled ones at middle eastern places

Really it's a hard list as I actually LIKE most foods. I have a lot of sensitivities that leads me to minimize some foods so my diet is limited by that, but that's not really dislike. I also don't like straight hard liquor and I find donuts nasty.
    Trees don't grow on money

Like ANM, I avoid a lot of foods that don't agree with me. As far as foods I strongly dislike:
    Liver
    Necco wafers (they are a local product and liked by many around here. I think they taste like chalk, only a little less pleasant.)
    Barbecue flavored chips or doritos taste like acid reflux
    Bell peppers (it makes me feel like a bad Italian, but could never learn to like them)
    Milk

Thread Information